C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the 420lb monospring be too hard?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Will the 420lb monospring be too hard?

I finally got things rolling with my Ecklers fiasco. I had the choice of a 360lb and the 420lb rear mono spring.

I knew everyone probably would want the 360 and say the 420 is too hard but i have no clue what i want to do with this car yet and i wanted to be prepared.

I know the 420 is meant for track cars. But if i drive it on the streets will i still be okay? I mean i'm young and can handle a bumpy ride so....

o yeah. this is for my 69 sbc, blistein shocks, offset arms, adjustable struts, 550lb front coils,.... possible big block transfer in the future....
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
doctorgene
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

The factory optional, Gymkhana FE7 suspension only had a 330 # rear spring. The Standard car was only 198 #. Yes you do need to make a decision on how you are going to drive the car. It's only money, buy both of them. One for the street & one for the track. Have a ball, Gene
Old 07-08-2010, 09:16 PM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I put the 7-leaf steel spring on my '77. (Is that the FE-7 one?) I was in my early 20's at the time and it was pretty punishing for my daily commute but I survived. Composite might be slightly friendlier but 420 is still nuts. As I've discovered with my '70 though, ANY spring is better than bottoming out (poor dampers), so you need to consider how much you'll be lowering it. Of course dampers can make a big difference here too.

-Chris
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveandLetDrive
I put the 7-leaf steel spring on my '77. (Is that the FE-7 one?) I was in my early 20's at the time and it was pretty punishing for my daily commute but I survived. Composite might be slightly friendlier but 420 is still nuts. As I've discovered with my '70 though, ANY spring is better than bottoming out (poor dampers), so you need to consider how much you'll be lowering it. Of course dampers can make a big difference here too.

-Chris
In the 5 years I owned my 96 C4 lowering the car was by far the best mod i ever did to it in terms of looks i felt. So I can only imagine I'll want this C3 to be as low as it can go as well.

So you're saying when it's low to the ground I'll want a harder spring to avoid bottoming out more right? If so then that's another + for me and the 420lb decision.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 766 Likes on 548 Posts

I've been running a 420# spring for years. No big deal. I do a lot of track stuff, and I rarely take it off-roading, so it's not that big a deal. The ride on decent city streets is very acceptable.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:40 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

So you're saying when it's low to the ground I'll want a harder spring to avoid bottoming out more right? If so then that's another + for me and the 420lb decision.
Exactly, and I certainly encourage lowering (for looks, handling, and aero) but unfortunately decreasing the available travel is unavoidable. Make sure you get aligned post-lowering as these cars have a lot of bump steer, etc.

The ride on decent city streets is very acceptable.
Must be nice to have those.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:35 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I've been running the 360 lb glass spring for years (550lb coils up front), and in my opinion it isn't too bad as long as road surfaces are decent. The car corners well for a 30 year old suspension design, and recently I put MT 295 55 15 drag radials on and have not had any clearance issues. (lowered an inch)

If your roads are as rough where you live as they are where I live,.....go with the 360's. The 420 lb may work better at the track for sure, but you'll be needing a helmet and kidney belt on the street....
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
KevinK
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or buy the dual mount, ADJUSTABLE composite spring system from VBP.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the 420lb monospring be too hard?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Will the 420lb monospring be too hard?