C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD install in rear compartment - anyone done it?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MSD install in rear compartment - anyone done it?

I'm planning to install an MSD 6AL in the rear compartment, has anyone else done that?
Wondering where the wires were routed.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:27 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default yes

I had my mechanic do this a few years back. No problems. sorry i cant tell you how he ran the wires. But I don't think it was difficult. I work away ... so sometimes I farm out the work for more time to drive.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No reason it can't be done...it's good for keeping the box away from the heat. Mine is mounted behind the dash.

You might contact MSD and ask their techs if you might need to use a heavier gauge wire due to the distance. It make not be an issue, but I would check just to make sure.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:08 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

you can pull off the right side dash, and install behind it. lots of room undr there.you can also install it under the right fender like i did five years ago with no problems. you can see it directly over the air cleaner.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:23 PM
STODD
Advanced

I was getting ready to post a similar question, wondering where guys are installing them. I have a 75 and my coolant overflow tank is where fugawi has his mounted. I want it to be kind of accessable so I can set the rev limiter easily.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:31 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

me too (74)
Planning to install it this weekend, I'll see if I can remember to take some pics
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Dantana
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mineis on the drivers side up against the firewall inside the fender. It's a beast to get to, I suspect someone installed it there with the front clip off. I've taken it out and put it back in a few times. If I were doing it from scratch I'd put it in the dash.

I did run my power and ground to it directly from the battery. I drilled a hole in the side of the battery compartment and went under the carpet behind the drivers seat and then along the outside of the drivers seat, behind the kick panel and up through a hole in the firewall. The hole was there so I stuck a grommet in it to seal it up and threaded the wires through. They were in almost perfect position to connect to the 6AL box mounted just above and to the outside. Sorry I don't have a picture.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:58 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Mine is in the wiper valley this is a real old pic before I cleaned that up but anyway it is still there the only thing that changes is the rev limiter goes up and up, it is at 8000 RPM now.

I don't think I would make the distance much longer than the wires MSD provides. The longer the wire the higher the voltage drop you would get. I would contact MSD before running it that far. Actually I was kind of shocked the wire they supply is so long in the first place
Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 PM
STODD
Advanced

Thought about trying to put it there, worried if I was caught in a rain storm it might get real wet in there.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by STODD
Thought about trying to put it there, worried if I was caught in a rain storm it might get real wet in there.
It's waterproof I washed the car a few hundred times and never had a problem and I have been caught in downpour too
Old 07-10-2010, 01:17 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not done an install there but I'll offer an alternative solution, I installed my Digital 6 box and Blaster 2 coil in the area by the passenger side gill vent. This keeps the wires short and still easily accessibly by simply removing the gill vent, of course put the adjustment dials to the outside of the car. The photos below were shot before the coil was mounted. The MSD techs said the coil could be remote mounted 3 feet away with no issues & I didn't ask about further away. Mounting the MSD componets here frees up the dry space inside the car for things that really need it or are harder to mount. Just food for thought.

Let's us know what you do and upload some pics of the install.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:46 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, installed it in the jack compartment, loads of room in there and I can feed the battery wires under the middle comparment easily.
The 4 wires for the MSD to and from the engine bay, fed those through the grommet that is already there and along the drivers side, up through the fire wall grommets.

Just looking for a 12v switched now.

I "think" the pink wires that are coming back there are for the anti-theft relay.
Since my anti-theft was butchered long before I got the car, I'm assuming it's safe to get the 12v from there.
Anyone know if this is a bad idea?
Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Are you planning on using the MSD extension wire from the box to the distributor? I'm not sure it'll reach from back there. I'm trying to do it as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:04 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

I ran new 14 gauge wire from the engine bay back to the rear compartments
Old 07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,916 Likes on 1,928 Posts

One thing to consider if you're installing the MSD in the passenger compartment is that the MSD is a noisy unit... you'll hear it running unless your car is real loud, even if it's on the shock mounts.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Originally Posted by lars
One thing to consider if you're installing the MSD in the passenger compartment is that the MSD is a noisy unit... you'll hear it running unless your car is real loud, even if it's on the shock mounts.
And get yourself the MSD noise suppressor to if you want to hear your stereo without a constant non varying buzz
Old 07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lars
Good to know.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD install in rear compartment - anyone done it?

Old 07-11-2010, 07:43 AM
MIKE80
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I installed mine on the front inside battery compartment, ran the wires under the console and drilled a small hole to the right of the gas pedal and ran the wires through a grommet I installed. As far as noise coming from it, I have sidepipes.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

Finished the install, in the jack compartment, ran the wires to the battery and everything else under the carpet.
Noise isn't an issue, sidepipes seem to drown out any sound the MSD makes.
I'll take some pictures on the weekend.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:11 PM
sniperdiver37
Burning Brakes

mounted mine in the wiper vally also. notched out where the RPM pill is. looks good, stays cool, easy to get to. car will never see rain... ooops forgot I live in washington state.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MSD install in rear compartment - anyone done it?