C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with my 1980 Glass T-Top weatherstrip, please

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:19 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Help with my 1980 Glass T-Top weatherstrip, please

Hi

I am fitting new weather-stripping on my 1980 Glass Tops and would like to make sure that I am doing this right.

I took a picture of the underside of my T-Top and as you can see, from the picture, there is a rubber seal all round the glass top and metal T-Top frame.

In order to replace the T-Top weatherstrip, do I need to take off this rubber seal ,or do I apply a glue on top of this existing rubber and place the weatherstrip on top of it?

Thank you

Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'm sorry, I can't tell for sure from the picture but if this is old weatherstrip it needs to come off.

It almost looks like the epoxy glue used to hold the top to the glass. If so, leave it alone, the top weatherstrip should have enough clearance to allow you to install it properly. Maybe someone else with better eyes can tell you.

One thing you "DO NOT" want to do is scrape off the black paint! If you do this, you'll see it from the top side and have to re-paint the back side.

Willcox
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 PM
1979carl
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the weather stripping on my 79. I thing you should remove all the old material as well as the old glue. If you do not the tops will be very hard to get prop[erly seated. Also if yours are like mine there are therr or four screws on the door side that need to come out. I made the mistake of gluing the stripping on the passengers side, it was messy, should have had help. You will notice that on either end of the stripping on the door side where it makes a bend to go across the front and back of the top that you should bend that part so it fits properly. I you do not fit it then the plastic pine that hold the stripping in place will be a PITA to get inserted properly. Before you put the tops in place wipe the stripping with silicone, it protects the rubber and makes the fit easier. My T-Tops do not leak and I never have glued the drivers side.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:24 PM
C3Paul
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

I checked with my AM and took another picture as well.

I think that this is the silicon/butyl seal used to glue the T-Top glass to the T-Top frame.
This rubber like material is approximately 3mm thick and it feels very hard with a texture similar to a windscreen seal.
It looks as the weatherstrip was glued to this seal, so I will leave it as it is and glue the new weatherstrip in a similar fashion.

Any comments?

PS
Thank you Willcox for supporting CF!
I have bought the full weatherstrip kit from You.

Thank you

Old 07-18-2010, 02:46 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Sure looks like epoxy.. the weatherstrip is to be glued over it. What ever you do don't scrape it or the black paint off.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
1979carl
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My T's are not glass so sealing the glass was no issue. good luck.:o

Get notified of new replies

To Help with my 1980 Glass T-Top weatherstrip, please

Quick Reply: Help with my 1980 Glass T-Top weatherstrip, please