C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP Hood Release cable wont release passenger side of hood

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 PM
buffed1978
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP Hood Release cable wont release passenger side of hood

The hood release cable on my 1978 vette wont release the passenger side of the hood.Iff I put my car up on a hoist would I be able to reach up and unlaock the hood.Iam sure it has happen to someone so let me know how you got it opened.The driver side opened.I guess the cable let go on that end.It was no even that old maby 8 years.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:33 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Sometimes you can reach under from the drivers side and get hold of the cable and pull and pop the other side.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:07 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

There is a plastic plug in the windshield wiper compartment. If you pop it out, you can access the hood release with a screwdriver or similar tool. If you have a friend with another Corvette its helpful to be able to look at it so you know how to position the tool since you can't see much with the hood closed. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 AM
veronicas dad
Advanced

i had that same problem, mine was fixed by first pushing the cable back into the car and then push down on the driverside and at the same time pull the release cable. my hood was catch the driver side just enough to release it but not enough to realease the passenger side. this only works if the cable in the hood didnt break of course.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:31 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

If the cable is actually operating the release on pass side, just not enough, you might be able to grab the hood and pull or push it in the horizontal plane from pass to drivers side or drivers to pass side and release it. Then an adjustment can be made to the latch after it's opened.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

More than likely the plastic tab on the cable housing has broken and will not hold the casing enough for the cable to pull the latch. Usually you can lift up on the drivers side and catch the cable itself with something and pull hard which will release the latch. You will need to replace the cable and housing when you get it up.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:54 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

the latching mechanism on these cars is a poor design. Now days i don't even bother to latch the hood unless i'm on the track.

many years ago i took it to a mechanic becuase it wouldn't unlatch on passenger side. He closed the drivers side then reached down and vilolently yanked the handle. Both sides popped. He turned to me and said that'll be $10. I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:04 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
the latching mechanism on these cars is a poor design. Now days i don't even bother to latch the hood unless i'm on the track.

many years ago i took it to a mechanic becuase it wouldn't unlatch on passenger side. He closed the drivers side then reached down and vilolently yanked the handle. Both sides popped. He turned to me and said that'll be $10. I couldn't tell if he was kidding or not.
Mechanics are crooks
Old 07-20-2010, 04:03 PM
buffed1978
Racer

Default I got it open Thanks everyone for your help

Thanks to everyone I was able to use a screwdriver through the acess hole and I got it to open.New cable tomorrow.I will also hook up the safety cable so if it ever happens I can pull the safety cable so it will open.Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To NEED HELP Hood Release cable wont release passenger side of hood

Quick Reply: NEED HELP Hood Release cable wont release passenger side of hood