C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning aluminum manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
CoolShark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cleaning aluminum manifold

I am going through the engine on my LT-1 and want to clean up the original intake. Glass beading destroys the original look. Any other ways?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Aluminum is an interesting metal. It's light, [relatively] strong, but it reacts to caustic substances by oxidizing quickly. So, you can clean it with about anything you like...but if the cleaner is 'harsh', the surface of the aluminum will turn dark almost immediately.

So, you can use a solvent to get rid of grease and then a detergent to get rid of residue. Glass beads are pretty hard and will tend to smooth the surface of the (soft) aluminum...unless you turn the air pressure down. Or you can use a softer grit media like walnut shells or ground corn cobs. I'd probably shoot some cleaner for aluminum wheels on it, let it soak a while and then use the power washer to clean it off.

If you want to keep it looking good longer and make it easier to clean, you would need to put some kind of coating on it to keep it from oxidizing. There are many options of coatings to choose from, but the coating needs to be clear, non-yellowing, and able to withstand some relatively high temperatures (good for 500F, anyway). Clear engine enamel comes to mind...
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 PM
CoolShark
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks 7T1vette. I'll try the aluminum wheel/ power washer first.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

I use 'Bar Keepers Friend' on all my aluminum. It is like Comet but is acid based. wet the surface and sprinkle a little on and rub lightly, wait a minuet and wash off. Try it on an old alternator and get a fell for how much rubbing you can get away with before it smooths the surface.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:29 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used Eagle 1 for aluminum wheels with good results. Make sure it's the type for bare aluminum, not clear coated wheels
Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There are both acid and alkaline cleaners for aluminum.
The acid cleaners can contain sulphmaic, hydrofluoric acid, phosphoric acid or citrus acid and the alkalines can contain sodium hyhdoxide, potassium hydroxic. All low concentrations.

If you want acids, most wheel cleaners,
if you want alkalines, oven cleaner.

Scrub with a good drgreaser or Dawn dish soap first for grease.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Tom Sarno
Racer

Bar Keeper Friend contains oxalic acid. Use gloves around acids. It absorbs through the skin and can causes problems with the bones.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Sarno
I use 'Bar Keepers Friend' on all my aluminum. It is like Comet but is acid based. wet the surface and sprinkle a little on and rub lightly, wait a minuet and wash off. Try it on an old alternator and get a fell for how much rubbing you can get away with before it smooths the surface.
I've used it to clean a couple of alternators and a wiper motor housing. Came out great.
Little scrub brush and a tooth brush to get into the hard spots.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 PM
dmayhew
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had my LT-1 intake cleaned at a place in Maryland called Caramo High Performatnce, this business is ran by Jerry MacNeish.

His process is called re skinning, but he basically tumbles the in intake in a large hopper. When finished the part looks like a new out of the box intake, the tumbling also does not remove the textured rough finish of the intake.

The cleaning has held up for over 2 years now for me. When mine gets dirty or has a oil spill on it , I use brake cleaner spray and it looks like new again.

The cost was around 120.00 for the tumblimg alone , plus he fixed a couple of bad spots as well

Check out his web site.

I could e-mail a photo if you want

David

Last edited by dmayhew; 07-25-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
I've used Eagle 1 for aluminum wheels with good results. Make sure it's the type for bare aluminum, not clear coated wheels
Prefered method for some of the SF Bay areas nicest looking Vettes.

Same method here with brass wire brush for getting stubborn discoloration off OR, you could send it off to some NCRS rip-off and get it treated (yor car will be faster then because your wallet will be much lighter)

Make sure you wear gloves and do the cleaning outdoors in well vented area.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning aluminum manifold

Quick Reply: Cleaning aluminum manifold