C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR Elimination

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:22 AM
myko
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
Thats not an EGR Valve. Its a heat riser valve. and yes they sell a spacer to remove it.
Sorry, that is what I meant. Picked that term up on another thread and tried to spread the ignorance.
Anyway, I have searched for spacers everywhere. I can find them for Corvettes but only listed up to fit in vettes up to '79. Is there some difference, other than those that differ in diameter, that would cause them to not fit all the C3 stock exhaust manifolds?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by VetteV8
Thanks for bringing this useful topic back to the top!
I have not read such a concise clarification as given by Jim in #6

Only one question about the knocking: If the standard timing curve still is in operation, why should knocking become an issue? After all, the EGR operates That being the case, why then knocking? That does not happen at light loads? Or?

Also a nice explanation about the 'stream of exhaust gases through the inlet manifold casting, heating up the intake, by partially shutting off one of the exhaust pipes by means of the heat riser.
Cor

The pinging will usually happen under those light throttle and *tip in* conditions. Since the original calibration of the timing curve included the EGR adding exhaust to dilute the mixture and lower cylinder temps...when we remove the EGR the cylinder will get a lot more full of good stuff that will actually burn and make power. In some cases the cylinder pressure gets a little high and you can get a ping. Not always though...those engines had such low compression they can usually do OK...just wanted to point it out in case it happened no one would freak out. If it does, we just recurve the distributor, or play with vacuum advance as needed. Usually more initial timing with less vacuum advance really wakes these engines up.

On the exhaust control valve..if you don't necessarily want headers and want to just remove the valve action, you can gut the flapper out of it and just use it as a spacer.

JIM
Old 11-28-2011, 11:04 AM
VetteV8
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Or you leave it in position, and lock it in the fully open position; remove the vac.line and or the control rod.
Cor
Old 11-28-2011, 12:02 PM
myko
Racer

On the exhaust control valve..if you don't necessarily want headers and want to just remove the valve action, you can gut the flapper out of it and just use it as a spacer.
Or you leave it in position, and lock it in the fully open position; remove the vac.line and or the control rod.
Cor
I thought about that. There are no emissions laws here so I am not as worried about that but when you remove the control rod there is a hole in the side. It might be as big of pain to try to fill that without worries about leaks as to buy a new spacer? The vac line isn't in place so it is wide open all the time. B/c I am not installing headers right now, I thought this might be one way to increase exhaust efficiency.

Last edited by myko; 11-28-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 PM
VetteV8
Instructor

Not the shaft!!
the rod between the lever on the shaft and the vac. cylinder
Cor
Old 11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
myko
Racer

Not the shaft!!
the rod between the lever on the shaft and the vac. cylinder
Cor
That makes a lot more sense. I wonder how much this would increase flow? It seems like I really just need to get headers ASAP.

Another question on the topic.
I realize the purpose of the EGR is to decrease NO in the exhaust by recirculating exhaust into the intake. How does this affect gas mileage and fuel efficiency? It dilutes the mix so it can't help gas mileage unless the exhaust will still burn with some addition of power. I know that it doesn't affect power at WOT b/c the vacuum is lost and the valve is open but how does it affect mileage at highway/cruise speed?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

EGR does not help fuel mileage at all. It takes up space in the cylinder that could be filled with a strong fuel mixture that will burn and push the piston down...even at part throttle.

JIM
Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 AM
myko
Racer

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
EGR does not help fuel mileage at all. It takes up space in the cylinder that could be filled with a strong fuel mixture that will burn and push the piston down...even at part throttle.

JIM
Right, so you have to keep the throttle down a little more to keep the same power being generated. I was just curious if you end up mixing more, less, or the same fuel with the exhaust to run at a steady speed. I was hoping for a real world example of someone who monitored gas mileage before and after removal? Or even a study from a tech school?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:44 AM
81pilot
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by myko
Right, so you have to keep the throttle down a little more to keep the same power being generated. I was just curious if you end up mixing more, less, or the same fuel with the exhaust to run at a steady speed. I was hoping for a real world example of someone who monitored gas mileage before and after removal? Or even a study from a tech school?
Its not rocket science. Exhaust gases don't burn very easy since they are low in oxygen. The fact that they take up space that could be used for the good stuff makes the case that with out the gasses the mix is better. A better mix is more efficient. An engine that gets a good tune up gains power and mileage, same theory here. There is a line where to increase HP you sacrifice MPG, but in this small case you increase volumetric efficiency with the mixture and increase both power and MPG, but neither by a substantial amount.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

Cor
Have you ever tried to get an engine to idle with an EGR valve stuck in the wide open position?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by thegazman
Have you ever tried to get an engine to idle with an EGR valve stuck in the wide open position?
You have that out of context, VetteV8 was talking about the valve in the exhaust manifold for EFE & was correct.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:52 AM
VetteV8
Instructor

Thanks!

Cor
Old 10-05-2014, 01:13 PM
bigjoepos
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Resurrecting this old and good thread with question to those in the know.

When idling at operating temp is the EGR valve open or closed? At these same conditions is there a vacuum draw from the carb or only at higher RPMs.

After 20 yrs my 1976 can't seem to pass the NJ hydrocarbon emission test out of the blue.

Checking out all the normal culprits.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Strokemyaxe
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

I have additional questions to validate resurrection.

I read everyone saying, "you have to block the EGR with a plate". What plate? Who makes this? How do I get one?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2014, 05:10 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 81pilot
Its not rocket science. Exhaust gases don't burn very easy since they are low in oxygen. The fact that they take up space that could be used for the good stuff makes the case that with out the gasses the mix is better. A better mix is more efficient. An engine that gets a good tune up gains power and mileage, same theory here. There is a line where to increase HP you sacrifice MPG, but in this small case you increase volumetric efficiency with the mixture and increase both power and MPG, but neither by a substantial amount.
I love the tree huggers who calim that an EGR valve is good for combustion, cools the incoming mixture, doesn't effect mileage, and certainly has no effect on power production....yea right....Its common sense and basics physics, both of which are often lacking often.
Old 12-18-2014, 05:11 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

Originally Posted by 81pilot
I love the tree huggers who calim that an EGR valve is good for combustion, cools the incoming mixture, doesn't effect mileage, and certainly has no effect on power production....yea right....Its common sense and basics physics, both of which are often lacking. Get rid of the EGR valve unless you must have it for emissions inspection...then block it.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:27 AM
PcolaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by Strokemyaxe
I have additional questions to validate resurrection.

I read everyone saying, "you have to block the EGR with a plate". What plate? Who makes this? How do I get one?

Thanks!
Available at most Auto-parts stores and from Summit or Jegs. About $10 bucks,
Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To EGR Elimination

Old 12-19-2014, 05:25 AM
Wibäck
Advanced

Originally Posted by PcolaPaul
Available at most Auto-parts stores and from Summit or Jegs. About $10 bucks,
So if I replaced the EGR with such a plate would that in any way affect the choke tube next to it? I mean will it change the behavior of the choke during warm-up (1975 L48)?

Thanks
Fredrik
Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I love the tree huggers who calim that an EGR valve is good for combustion, cools the incoming mixture, doesn't effect mileage, and certainly has no effect on power production....yea right....Its common sense and basics physics, both of which are often lacking. Get rid of the EGR valve unless you must have it for emissions inspection...then block it.
Actually, while the EGR does not cool the intake charge it significantly cools the combustion temperature, leading to lower NOx emissions and tendency for detonation. Also, the EGR does increase mileage by reducing intake manifold vacuum and therefore suction throttling loss. And since it doesnt work under load, it has no effect on power when it matters.

The EGR valve is truthfully a great device. Think about it, that simple device allow your engine have variable displacement and a variable compression ratio, pretty impressive for such a simple, reliable device.

Once you start to understand how a EGR actually works you begin the realize that on a otherwise stock engine there is no reason to remove it.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 AM
thegazman
Drifting

Default thegazman

Originally Posted by Ganey
You have that out of context, VetteV8 was talking about the valve in the exhaust manifold for EFE & was correct.
Opps, excuse me. I thought this post was about EGR valve operation and removal.

Quick Reply: EGR Elimination