C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my car temp's are close to 260 and up

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:49 PM
laytonkopplin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car temp's are close to 260 and up

what should I do about high temp's I have been hitting temp's as high as 260 to 280 and up sometimes. Its driving me crazy what can I do?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by laytonkopplin
what should I do about high temp's I have been hitting temp's as high as 260 to 280 and up sometimes. Its driving me crazy what can I do?
first, verify the readings with an infrared indicator before you do anything else to check the gauge calibration....
Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If your reading is correct...as the previous poster said, make sure there's actually a problem beyond a bad sending unit or gauge...then what are the conditions the car is running so hot?

If it's only happening at highway speeds, you may need a new lower radiator hose...the coil spring inside it could be rusted away and allowing the hose to collapse under vacuum.

The radiator cap could be bad and not holding pressure.

Are the seals around the radiator present? Is the air deflector under the front end in place? They're both critical to maintaining engine temps.

Your cooling system could have a restriction or an air bubble that needs bled out.

Your fan clutch could be bad or as simple as loose belts.

You could be low on coolant.

The radiator could have lots of bugs and/or debris covering the fins and causing air flow to be restricted.

Lots of things can contribute to the problem. Start with the most basic things, confirm or eliminate them as causes and go from there.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Running 260 or 280??? You would be puking antifreeze all over the road. If your car isn't boiling over start with checking the water level and the gauge...
Old 08-06-2010, 04:40 PM
Leung
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hugie82
Running 260 or 280??? You would be puking antifreeze all over the road. If your car isn't boiling over start with checking the water level and the gauge...
That happened to me once...checked the overflow tank the next morning and it was almost empty.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Don't drive it until you find out what is wrong you could ruin your motor
Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I would check your gauge. I've never seen a small block get that hot without blowing head gaskets.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your joking to ask such a question on this forum without giving any details of what has been done by you or others to resolve your issue. Take it to your local mechanic and have the system checked out if you can't resolve it own your own.

Then post the cure.

I'm begining to feel like the bad guy here but some posts just seem to be fruitless. (Worthless)
Old 08-06-2010, 09:06 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I'd have to agree, that if it's really running that hot, you need to park the car until you get the problem corrected. You're gonna do some damage driving at that high of a temperature.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue 69
Your joking to ask such a question on this forum without giving any details of what has been done by you or others to resolve your issue. Take it to your local mechanic and have the system checked out if you can't resolve it own your own.

Then post the cure.

I'm begining to feel like the bad guy here but some posts just seem to be fruitless. (Worthless)
Evidently, someone pissed you off.

There were some decent suggestions offered in this post. Here's one in case you missed it....

Originally Posted by Roughrider
If your reading is correct...as the previous poster said, make sure there's actually a problem beyond a bad sending unit or gauge...then what are the conditions the car is running so hot?

If it's only happening at highway speeds, you may need a new lower radiator hose...the coil spring inside it could be rusted away and allowing the hose to collapse under vacuum.

The radiator cap could be bad and not holding pressure.

Are the seals around the radiator present? Is the air deflector under the front end in place? They're both critical to maintaining engine temps.

Your cooling system could have a restriction or an air bubble that needs bled out.

Your fan clutch could be bad or as simple as loose belts.

You could be low on coolant.

The radiator could have lots of bugs and/or debris covering the fins and causing air flow to be restricted.

Lots of things can contribute to the problem. Start with the most basic things, confirm or eliminate them as causes and go from there.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Lemans Blue 69
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I read it and am not upset. Your terminology (pissed off). Just that it seems that 1 out of ten posts are interesting reads and the rest seem to come from individuals who have nothing better to do.

Thank you for your opinion.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:40 PM
laytonkopplin
Racer

no it just happened like when I drive around town going like 45 mph max it stays around 205 max but when I drive it up to washington D.C. it jumps up to like 260 to 280 but I'm driving like 75 mph no **** it just happened two days ago and its driving me crazy and I haven't done anything about it yet because I had surgery yesterday and bethesda national naval medicial hospital cept me over night and now I'm home and its all I can think about so I'm looking for help
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Avette4me
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Lemans Blue 69
Just that it seems that 1 out of ten posts are interesting reads and the rest seem to come from individuals who have nothing better to do.
Yea, the interweb can be like that...

Old 08-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

no it just happened like when I drive around town going like 45 mph max it stays around 205 max but when I drive it up to washington D.C. it jumps up to like 260 to 280 but I'm driving like 75 mph no **** it just happened two days ago and its driving me crazy and I haven't done anything about it yet because I had surgery yesterday and bethesda national naval medicial hospital cept me over night and now I'm home and its all I can think about so I'm looking for help
Not to make light of your problem, but every time I drive into DC my temperature goes up too...I used to work in town and that city and the idiots that reside and (pretend to) work in some of those stately white buildings drive me crazy with their arrogance and pontification.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:40 AM
FedorC3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Leung
That happened to me once...checked the overflow tank the next morning and it was almost empty.
how easy is it to see the level? mine looks empty, but i am not sure. plus i cant get that cap off to check! btw my car runs just under 150 when warm

Last edited by FedorC3; 08-07-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:08 PM
laytonkopplin
Racer

again my buddy and I went out last night and the engine was just at 205 in town this is going to drive me nuts I'm starting to think it was a misread on my temp.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:47 PM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The first response suggested you verify your temp gauge readings since you posted unusually high temps.

Post back after you have done that and you'll probably receive lots of pertinant help.

Get notified of new replies

To my car temp's are close to 260 and up

Quick Reply: my car temp's are close to 260 and up