C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel line leaking between fuel pump and carb.Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
buffed1978
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line leaking between fuel pump and carb.Need some help

On my 350 the fuel line between the carb and the fuel pump is leaking .The leak is the pressed on fitting where it goes on to the fuel pump.It is a rubber fuel line .The fitting is cracked.When i take the fitting off the fuel pump how much fuel will come out and is their a way to do it without loosing a lot of fuel.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:49 PM
ED79
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO you could crimp the rubber supply line feeding the fuel pump (with a catch pan underneath), and have everything in place to do a quick hook up and or R&R. Make sure the battery is unhooked and plenty of ventilation. You really should have a metal line to the carb. Good luck Ed
Old 08-07-2010, 07:04 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

There is no "pressed on fitting" anywhere in the line between the pump and the carb. If you have any pressed fittings or rubber lines they are not correct and should be replaced. Buy or fabricate a correct all-steel line with screw-on fittings.

When you replace the line, pinch the rubber pump inlet line with a pair of vice grips to minimize fuel spillage when removing the outlet line. Place a pan under the pump, since you will spill the fuel in the line from the pump to the carb.

Lars
Old 08-07-2010, 11:33 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Does it help to jack the front of the car up, or put it on ramps to keep the fuel pump above the level of gas in the tank? Might not make any difference but it makes me feel better. I want it up in the air anyway for access.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely go with steel braided or metal line with AN fittings. I also used the vice grip technique to cut off flow on the old rubber hose. Get it all hooked up from the carb and the last thing you have to do is take the rubber hose off the fuel pump and quickly screw in the new fitting. Have a pan ready as you're going to lose fuel, but it's not going to be a ton and you can wipe up the spilled gas off the block, A arms, etc. when you're done.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Steel line.

Buffed,
Listen to Lars and blueface. I'm not keen on pinching old rubber fuel lines, as this may cause failure of the rubber line on the inside where you can't see it. Lifting the front of the car will enable the petrol to drain back to the tank and, unless you have a full-to-the-brim tank, you should not lose any more than a few ounces of petrol when you remove the inlet fuel line going to the pump.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 08-08-2010, 08:27 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I replaced the "S" hose on my '72, I drove the car up on racks, siphoned gas out of the tank then went to work. No line pinching, spilled gas, or mess. It takes a little longer, but much safer.
I also installed a braided fuel line from the carb to the pump. It's been four years and all is well.
Good luck.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 AM
FlyViper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not keen on pinching old rubber fuel lines, as this may cause failure of the rubber line on the inside where you can't see it
Definitely agree, but I'm just saying that works fine if you're replacing the line anyways.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM
phclub
Racer

New England Events Coordinator

I am planning this project this weekend, replacing rubber hose from pump to carb with metal. Pinch old inlet lines, then replace with new inlet lines. And just to ensure no pressure build ups; paper filter will be replaced.

Question; does using teflon tape on the connector nuts help seal the system?
Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Teflon Tape is a bad idea. It is not resistant to gas. Unless you're very careful wrapping it, bits of the tape can get into the sytem and cause all kinds of grief.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:36 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by phclub
I am planning this project this weekend, replacing rubber hose from pump to carb with metal. Pinch old inlet lines, then replace with new inlet lines. And just to ensure no pressure build ups; paper filter will be replaced.

Question; does using teflon tape on the connector nuts help seal the system?
phclub,

If you're going to do this, have you thought about using AN fittings? I followed Lars' article for my Holden V8 and just bought the right fittings to adapt the fuel pump and carburettor (Q-jet) to AN dash 6 (3/8") males and bent up a steel line with female AN dash 6 ends. Looks good and there is no need to use Teflon tape anywhere.

Plus, if you ever need to change the carb or fuel pump, the AN fittings are very easy to undo and redo. FYI, I used a standard 45 degree flaring tool after I'd slid on the AN fitting and ferrule, just tightened them up. The ferrule, when the coupling is tightened, makes the flare "conform" to the AN 37 degree angle. No leaks.

Hope this helps.

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 08-18-2010, 12:55 PM
75+78 Corvettes
Pro

Get a golf tee to plug the hole. Did that several times successfully
Old 08-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 75+78 Corvettes
Get a golf tee to plug the hole. Did that several times successfully
I'm surprised someone didn't suggest this earlier. You can use all sorts of things to just plug the hole of the rubber hose. Maybe use some tape to ensure it stays in place. Purchase a new steel or SS fuel line from pump to carb. No teflon tape needed.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:13 AM
phclub
Racer

This is the new line that I will be installing with new fuel nut at carb, new paper filter, and new fitting on pump. additionaly new frame to pump rubber lines. Hope all goes well with no leaks.
http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-fuel...1970-1976.html
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

don't buy from ecklers! they are bad on customer service. buy from another forum vendor like corvette central.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:06 PM
phclub
Racer

Fugawi, I only go to Ecklers if I cannot find it elsewhere, I usually shop Corvette Central.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel line leaking between fuel pump and carb.Need some help

Quick Reply: Fuel line leaking between fuel pump and carb.Need some help