C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump gallons

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water pump gallons

how many gallons per minute does a stock water pump move.trying to decide if i want to go with a stock pump, or somthing like an edelbrock pump.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

A stock pump has a 35% excess flow margin even under worst conditions. Higher flow than that is wasted energy.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 AM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply mike, but what does 35% equal in gpm..
Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've read 37-55 gpm but don't know at what speed.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Don't quote me because I tried finding sites to backup what i'm posting.

Stock SBC pump on our vettes was @ 38 gpm.

The aftermarket iron high flow pumps are just remanufactured pumps with a larger impeller. @ 50 - 55 gpm.

The problem with any water pump is the RPM "Window" where they operate the best and without going into higher rpm cavitation. Typical pulley setup gears the water pump to exceed the motor rpm. Bigger pulley on the crank than the water pump.

Some where around 6200 motor rpm stock and iron high flow pump go into cavitation that is over 8000 water pump rpm.

One of my motors has Weiand Team G aluminum pump and the other has a Stewart Stage 3. These pumps are rated @ 140 GPM in perfect world of no restriction like the thermostat and a high flow 4 core racing aluminum radiator.

The problem with these pumps is: the RPM "Window" the racing impeller pumps next to nothing below 2000 motor rpm with stock sized pulley ratios. They are made to operate at 4000 - 9200 rpm just like the race car that they are put in.

So slow speed around town just overheated my motors until I went to a 33% overdriven water pump pulley setup.

What Mr. Ward failed to bring up is that HP = heat and when you start exceeding 550 hp the stock pump or even the high flow just isn't going to do it even if you underdrive the pump to keep it out of high rpm cavitation.

Most of the road race cars I work on use flow restrictors instead of a thermostat. It becomes a fine line of how much to restrict the flow vs coolant temp under racing conditions.

My Vette uses a 190 Stant high flow thermostat with about eight 1/8th holes drilled in the outer ring so even if the stat is shut i still have some flow

http://www.stewartcomponents.com/tec...ech_Tips_6.htm

Get notified of new replies

To water pump gallons

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: water pump gallons