C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 05:26 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon?

My 1978. 4 years, no problem. I started the car after it had been sitting several months, dead battery. I get it checked, it's bad, so I replace it.

New battery dead in 1 week, take it in, they give me another one under warranty (hurray). That one lasts about 1 week, so I'm thinking it's not the battery, luckily the auto parts store replaces that one for free as well :cheers:

Keeping the door ajar switch closed, I check for continuity between the battery leads. Sure enough, it's there :crazy:

So, where do I begin? For starters, I installed a battery disconnect switch on the negative lead, but I would like to figure this out correctly. Any items that can go out with the car sitting?

Jeff
Old 03-27-2002, 06:48 PM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon? (thejaf)

You might try the old trick of pulling the fuses one at a time to see when the leak stops. That should help isolate the circuit.

For me, it's a major PITA to contort myself to do that.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:00 PM
Corellian Corvette
Drifting

Default Re: Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon? (thejaf)

Check out my thread on this issue. Took me a couple days to track it down but ulitmately I did. You just have to be methodical and patient.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=253664
Old 03-27-2002, 07:11 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon? (Corellian Corvette)

Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon?
What ever turns your crank but it isn't fun when I do it at work so I can only assume it isn't fun on a car!
Old 03-27-2002, 09:05 PM
One GM A Tech
Pro

may berg is right on the money that and the schematic for your and your there. And believe me its a lot less fun when your trying to trace them down on a C5 that have modules that wake up out of no where :( :cry :smash: :lol:
Old 03-28-2002, 09:11 AM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon? (One GM A Tech)

THanks! This gives me some guidance and something to think about. Hopefully it will be nice outside on Saturday. If not, I guess if I drink enough beer, I won't feel the cold :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :smash: :cheers: :smash: :cheers:
Old 03-28-2002, 10:59 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have an ammeter meter it makes things simpler. The only thing that should be drawing current is the clock, and that is only about .005 to .010 amps or between 5 and 10 milliamps. The interior lights draw about 1.5amps. I have an aftermarket alarm which draws about .07amps.

I've traced many shorts on various cars. Here's some possibilities:

Pulling the fuses one at a time is the first trick to locate a short.

Original alarm system...there's a module that is directly connected to the battery...I will reveal it's location by email if you need it.

License plate lamp...it sometimes collects water...also the side marker lamps do that too.

And of course check to make sure your girl friend isn't plugging her vibrator into the vette battery and fondling your ride while your sleeping.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:20 PM
thejaf
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon? (Rockn-Roll)

My original alarm system doesn't work, although I'm not sure I ever tried to activate it from the driver's door. The courtesy lights (license, parking, spare tire) all work fine, no water accumulation. I'll try pulling each fuse. Are those relays in the tire jack compartment for the alarm? Wife's vibrator only operates on 3 volts :smash:

Get notified of new replies

To Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon?

Quick Reply: Is tracing a short to ground a fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon?