C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Differential Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 AM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Rear Differential Fluid

Hello everyone, does anyone have a recommended (brand/weight) rear differential fluid for a 76 Corvette? Also, any suggestions for an indoor stroage facility that's reasonable priced in the Houston Texas area? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Any brand name gear lube with a GL-5 rating. This already has the posi additive included.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can always go with the GM lube and posi-additive
Old 08-25-2010, 09:15 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

85-140 syn power Valvoline with one tube of posi lube
Old 08-25-2010, 10:59 AM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that you always use the GM additive regardless?!!? The shop that rebuilt my diff last week used Royal Purple + GM additive. My diff still leaks on my garage floor after replacing all the seals though
Old 08-25-2010, 11:23 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mar
I was told that you always use the GM additive regardless?!!? The shop that rebuilt my diff last week used Royal Purple + GM additive. My diff still leaks on my garage floor after replacing all the seals though
That's

I've owned my car for over 30 years, replaced the diff fluid 4-5 times and never used anything except Pennzoil GL-5 gear lube. Never any GM additive and have never had an issue.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by mar
Did some work on mine and re-placed everything including A new gasket next day same leak frontish of the punkin .took it all back apart to clean up and re-seal while spraying some cleaner, it got down on my feet some how After closer looking the Manufacture had drilled and tapped two of the cover hooes rigth out the back filled em with permatex liquid sealer no leak going on five Yrs. look real close under your punkin i did and it payed off . found the small leak.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your leak? I should have seen the BS flag waving when the pushy service guy at the shop told me that GM additive was required. Then he started telling me that I should replace my half shafts because they were likely going to be found to be bad while the U-joints and input & output pinion seals were replaced. My first quick thought was that they had a spare set left over and saw an easy way to move them. Also had new rubber bushings, adj strut rods and some odds and ends done.

910 dollars later my diff still leaks. Rear end feels more solid now - but it will feel more stable when they get around to aligning it They also sliced thru both brand new exhaust pipes and when they welded them back up, the passenger side pipe hangs a good inch lower that the drivers side and the muffler hangs lower and just overall, looks like crap. Yes - they are going to fix it.

Originally Posted by bashcraft
That's

I've owned my car for over 30 years, replaced the diff fluid 4-5 times and never used anything except Pennzoil GL-5 gear lube. Never any GM additive and have never had an issue.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vader Vette

Originally Posted by bashcraft
That's

The reason you havent had any problem is way before the diff fluid is even dirty your changing it . I bet most guys dont do that hence the two bottle s of additive and top off with good chevy rear end lube.
The clutches will love it. JMO
Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

No, the reason is because there isn't any difference between the brand name and the GM stuff, except the GM stuff cost 5 times as much.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM
hgoodwiniii
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks all. Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the rear bearing? Anything I should beware of before I get started? Any special tools required? Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Differential Fluid

Quick Reply: Rear Differential Fluid