C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove rear shock mount.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 04:19 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

you can always reuse the shock mount unless you break it. The purpose of cutting the strut is because of the 3 parts involved, its the cheapest. When yoiu have one that just will not come apart, something has to give. The cut roger showed is the best way to do it. The big pproblem is the steel sleeve that is rusted to the mount shaft is under the rubber inside the strut. I never tried it but maybe you can burn off the rubber and then get to the sleeve as Roger posted, just a thought
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just buy a new set of shock mounts - they are cheap. And get new struts/bushings while at it of course. Or upgrade to Heim-joint struts. Just a thought.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:56 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

1. Went thru the same sh*t your going thru last year. I beat on it, but was fearful of breaking an ear. Soaking it in PB blaster did not work. I also put a propane torch to it. Nothing.... During the whole process, I decided to replace my strut rods with adjustables, and figured I would need new shock mounts anyway.
I used the torch to burn the old rubber bushings out on each side where the strut rod connects with the shock mount. This created a nice gap to put a saw blade.
Then I tried a sawzall and hack saw to cut thru the metal sleeve and that did not work.
So I finally bought a 4 inch angle grinder from the home D store and 2 metal cutting blades for a few bucks and I cut those bastards out. Two cuts on each side. Made a lot of sparks. I was doing this while it was still bolted to the car.
This took about 1 hr for 4 cuts. Good luck.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-28-2010, 12:32 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

lol I knew these photos would come in handy some time and be funny.

Main thing is you're going to have to cut the bolt out if hitting it isn't working.

Also like what's been said... DO NOT ROTATE the mount as it's not round.

I didn't have this up for very long but i did use the rope to help hold the saw while i applied force from the top. Use a diamond grid blade... and some time.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

As mentioned in my previous post I'm already $3000.00 over my $7000.00 budget and I just broke the strut came bolt which means I'll probably break the other side while removing the drivers side.

The shock mount delivered to my door in Canada will cost around $70.00 each, which just keeps adding to the already over budget. I'm trying to save as many parts as possible since there is much more needed on this nightmare.

Update: since the rear end seems to be in much worse shape then I thought I'm going to rebuild the trailing arms and have removed one side (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-arm-bolt.html) therefore the strut rod and shock mount are attatched to the trailing arm which has been removed from the car. One side only.

Last edited by Maymyvetteliveforevr; 08-28-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Letournour 1850
Instructor

I had the same problem I got out the grinder and cut off the "L" and drove it out, the shock mount are not to $$ and you have new ones.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Letournour 1850
I had the same problem I got out the grinder and cut off the "L" and drove it out, the shock mount are not to $$ and you have new ones.
The shock mount shipped to Canada after brokerage, taxes, exchange works out to over $125.00 for the pair. I thought that was a bit expensive. Maybe it's just me being frugal.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 AM
crf311
Melting Slicks

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Cut it out.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
The shock mount shipped to Canada after brokerage, taxes, exchange works out to over $125.00 for the pair. I thought that was a bit expensive. Maybe it's just me being frugal.
Try drilling a small hole through the top of the strut rod down to the top of the shock mount,fill the hole with PB. The PB will eventually get to the inner bushing sleeve that is causing the problem and loosen it. I know because I have used this method before ,but it takes more money "in time" than for me to just cut the strut. The strut usually needs bushings anyway.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:17 PM
ssenay72
Racer

cut them off, youll be done in an hour.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:09 PM
smon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to your local auto store and rent a 2-3 jaw puller (smaller the better so the jaws fit in between the ear and the strut). It's kind of akward to get on there right but it gets the job done easily. Faster than cutting, but power tools are fun...

Good luck,
Sean
Old 08-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Update:

I've removed the trailing arm from the car and have seperated most parts. The strut rod is now seperated from the trailing arm but is still attached to the forks/ears (pictured part below), what every you call this part. I've managed to remove the rubber inbetween and the rubber between the bushing and strut rod has deteriorated to the point that the strut rod now moves from side to side freely.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:07 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

seriously, get a good BFH.
(this is where i say my shock mounts just fell right out)
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Dang, buddy, that car just isn't cutting you any breaks is it? I think you're going to have to pick a part to sacrifice, and the cheapest of those is the mount itself.

Originally Posted by Maymyvetteliveforevr
Zip has them for $45 a piece. After shipping, us 'Merkins aren't much better off.

Here's a thought. If you burn out the bushing, would you have enough room to slip a screwdriver/chisel/punch or anything to spread open the bushing sleeve? If you could just get something into its split and pry it a little, it would break apart the rust you're fighting and then the mount would tap out.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, like I said many posts ago...a BFH will do the trick. I did nearly everything you've already done, I hit mine twice with a short handled 5 lb hammer and they were out....
Old 09-01-2010, 05:22 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso
Yep, like I said many posts ago...a BFH will do the trick. I did nearly everything you've already done, I hit mine twice with a short handled 5 lb hammer and they were out....
He's fighting some pretty severe rust welding. You should read his other thread on the trials he's had with his TA bushings. You don't want to pound too much on the mount because you run the risk of screwing up those hub ears. Some finesse is needed in his situation.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

yeah, the BFH, did not work for me. Some does , some not. I also tried the puller or pusher option and I failed at that part. With them being out of the car, they should be easy to cut. I think I got mine at Willcox, they had the best price little less than a year ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Can't remove rear shock mount.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

It got busy today and I didn't have time to make any attempts today but I will do so again tomorrow and report back.

I keep hearing about purchasing new shock mounts, but I have to emphasis that I'm already $3000.00 over budget and I broke the cam bushing bolt while taking out the strut rod out. I envy members that live in the US since your pricing is so much lower. I keeping reading that a pair of shock mounts are $90.00 per pair in the States, well delivered to my door it's more like $150.00 The strut rod bolts are almost the same price so let's just add another $150.00. If I can't save the rotors then let's add another $$$, do you see where I'm going.

My $7000.00 budget is presently at $10,000.00 and I still haven't replaced the 25 year old tires. If I were to be more realistic my budget can’t exceed $12,000.00 since there are also some cosmetic repairs therefore I have to save as many parts as I can.

Sorry for the tone folks, I know you're trying to help…… I guess frustration has set in. I hope I have better luck tomorrow and please don't give up on me............well, not just yet.

As my forum name implies, I'm here for a long time and I don't give up easily....as long as I can find the time.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Now that the trailing arms are off the car can't you bring the assembly to someone with a torch?
Some real heat and a few taps with a hammer might do it.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Maymyvetteliveforevr
Safety Car

Sure can and I think I was told that the rate is around $70.00 per hour mininum $50.00 so I stopped calling around. I guess I could also rent torches but then I might as well purchase new ones at that rate.

It was worth a try.

Quick Reply: Can't remove rear shock mount.