C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Budget" 540 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Coming together nicely!!

Is the .666" lift including the 1.8's? That rocker issue is pretty common with low covers. The new Comp aluminum rockers have several of them in each set rounded just like yours for the same reason. Harland Sharp makes a good rocker.

Don't forget to test fit your headers before installing. Seems like folks always have to do a little flange grinding on the bottom edges to clear the lower head bolts on the Edelbrock heads.

Keep giving us updates! I'm waiting for the one when you stuff your foot in it!

What carb and intake? I can tell you even the hyd roller versions of these like good airflow. A buddy with a very similar one with GM/Edelbrock rectangular ports, a smaller hyd roller and 9.5'ish compression picked up 30 RWHP with a Holley Strip Dominator over a factory 427/425 type aluminum intake.

JIM
Old 09-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Coming together nicely!!

Is the .666" lift including the 1.8's? That rocker issue is pretty common with low covers. The new Comp aluminum rockers have several of them in each set rounded just like yours for the same reason. Harland Sharp makes a good rocker.

Don't forget to test fit your headers before installing. Seems like folks always have to do a little flange grinding on the bottom edges to clear the lower head bolts on the Edelbrock heads.

Keep giving us updates! I'm waiting for the one when you stuff your foot in it!

What carb and intake? I can tell you even the hyd roller versions of these like good airflow. A buddy with a very similar one with GM/Edelbrock rectangular ports, a smaller hyd roller and 9.5'ish compression picked up 30 RWHP with a Holley Strip Dominator over a factory 427/425 type aluminum intake.

JIM
The .666 is at the valve with the 1.8's. I ordered a set of factory appearing chrome ones that are 1" higher to clear the lock nuts:

I have the Holley Strip Dominator for the intake, glad to hear your success with it since I was wavering between it and the Perf RPM intake - hopefully it fits the L88 hood I have. Originally I had a 4781S carb. I bought a QFT '1050' main body & took the parts off the holley. A poor man's version of the hp1000 I guess. Speaking of which, I loaned it to a buddy to try on his 496. I've got to check how it worked for him & get the carb back.

I should get the intake and valve covers on this pm. Thanks for the tip on the headers. I know when I would have figured that one out. . .
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Default Done!

I finally had a bit of time this last weekend and over the past couple of days.

I'll post a few more pics & do a bit of a write up later. . .

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 09-15-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

A few more pics.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks nice I think it would drop right in My 73.Hopefully You can post a video when its running
Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very Nice Ben........ that is a beast. I like the headers.......
Old 09-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Timsride
That looks nice I think it would drop right in My 73.Hopefully You can post a video when its running
Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Very Nice Ben........ that is a beast. I like the headers.......
Thanks guys. I'm going to paint the block bryar blue to match my car before I install it. Now comes my least favorite part - pulling the old engine. I'm going to be out of town the next few weeks and then vacation for a week after that so it will be October some time before I get started.

I mentioned earlier there was an oil pan fitment issue. The pan in the pictures is a second one I purchased. The fitment issue was with the lip around the rear main and the two rear bolt holes. the rear seal lip and bolts are a separate piece welded into the pan. Moroso didn't get this in their jig correctly IMHO which was why it didn't line up on my block. Even this one was slightly off, a little less than 1/16". A couple of blocks of wood and a few taps with a 4# hammer and it lines right up. This was another picture I had on my SD card that puked, so here's a shot of the area with the second pan installed.

Not the best pic, but this area was about 1/8" deeper in the first pan. I checked it against the two GM gen 6 pans as well and they fit perfectly. I ended up shipping the first pan back to the same supplier I bought the first one from, marked as defective, since the folks at Moroso weren't willing to exchange it.

The headers are actually a friends, though I've the same ones sitting on the 454 in the car. And when I pulled them out of the box, there was this:

I spoke to the folks at Hedman, sounded like it shouldn't be an issue to get them exchanged (it BETTER not be). Stay tuned. . .

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 09-16-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: "Budget" 540 Build