C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
flyfisher38
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Piston Question

Today i was looking for new pistons and i have no idea which ones to choose. Like what type piston material is best? How do you choose the best compression distance is best for what you want to do? Whats the difference in piston styles? What are valve reliefs?

This is what i wanna do to the engine:

Its a 327 that im gonna put in a impala or a bel air. I want it to have a blower on it. I want high horsepower too. What type pistons, connecting rods, etc. would work best for what i wanna do?

(LOL i know what your thinking. Another teenager who has no idea what he is getting himself into )

This is all the options i when looking for pistons:

Old 09-15-2010, 09:20 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not really up on supercharged applications but I assume alot will depend on the type of blower and what sort of boost you are planning to run.

If you are looking for high HP levels you will be wanting a forged piston.

Piston types:

Cast Aluminum: Budget pistons - weakest of the three
Hypereutechtic: These fit a midway point between cast and forged, they are stronger than cast and fit in the bore with fiarly tight clearances. They are fine for moderate HP levels.
Forged: These are the strongest piston available and are desirable for really high HP output or if you plan to run NOS

Valve reliefs are exactly what they sound like, reliefs in the top of the piston to allow clearance for the valve when open -

2 valve reliefs are like factory pistons they fit in the cylinder in a particular way. i.e. the reliefs must be oriented properly in relation to the valves

4 valve relief pistons pretty much cant be aligned wrong since the reliefs are symettrical about the wrist pin.

Dome pistons have a dome on top that protrudes into the combustion chamber - this is done to achieve (among other things) higher compression - not something you usually need with a blower since you will be using boost.

Dished pistons are the opposite of domes, they increase the combustion chamber volume and reduce compression
Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 PM
flyfisher38
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the supercharger i would like.

http://www.shop.backwoodsspeedshop.c...s-65001wei.htm
Old 09-15-2010, 11:41 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to run a blower, you'll have to run dished (forged)pistons that will give you an ideal compression ration of about 8:5:1. You will also want a complete forged bottom end if you want to really beat on it, and I know you do since you're young. Once you choose the bottom end you're going to have to choose the correct heads and cam that will work with blown applications. It's important that you choose a good pair(AFR heads) of heads and cam if you want to make maximum HP. You're going to end up spending a lot of $$$$$. Should be a fun build though. Keep us posted.

Get notified of new replies

To Piston Question

Quick Reply: Piston Question