C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004R trans, B&M 2400 stall, fluid leak.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 01:19 AM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2004R trans, B&M 2400 stall, fluid leak.

Thanks for all the responses on the dipstick issue, but now for another problem. This may be like closing the barn door after the horse has run away :o but the reason for the inquiry is that I used the th350 dipstick in the 2004R. with 2400 stall from B&M without compensating for the 3/4" diffrence in the tubes. Now for the problem, after a few runs up the driveway I started to develope a leak between the motor and transmission. I should mention, this is a newly rebuilt transmission with a 13 vein pump, red eagle bands, big servo, and transgo shift kit. B&M sent me a front oil seal, but of course I had already installed the one from the rebuild kit. The one from B&M had what appeared to be a three prong retaining ring with it. I guess i was just wondering if overfilling the transmission by a gt. would cause me to blow the seal. I have to take the body off the car again anyway to paint it so it will not be a real issue to change the seal at that time.
Anyway guys, thanks for any input.
C
Old 09-04-2010, 10:11 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are 2 seals that can be leaking. One is the front pump seal, some use the retaining ring some don't. I don't have one on mine, but some guys swear by it. The other is the pump seal itself. It's the O ring that goes around the pump. It has be be installed with the stripe outside, and if it's not lubed before it's installed it can tear easily on installation. You're gonna have to pull it either way, I'd just be prepared for both. The good news is the parts are cheap!!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:22 PM
HBZ_81_C3
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a fluid drain hole that needs to be opened up to relieve some of the pressure on the front seal in a performance application.You may want to check with the builder to see if this was done. if not here is what needs to be done.
First drill the front seal area drain hole(angled passage viewed from the front of the pump with the seal removed)to a 1/4". Drill the intersecting passage and mating passage in rear pump half to 5/16". This will help front seal drain back to the pan and will keep from blowing the front seal out.
I would also think about a 10 vein pump with billet sealing rings instead of the 13 vein pump. As I understand from several builders that specialize in 200-4R's it creates more issues than it cures.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:44 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

GM had a service bulletin for drilling the pump body as HBZ suggests. Another tip is to put a small bead of red loctite around the OD of the seal before you drive it in. You already packed the cavity of the seal with grease so the little spring didn't pop out when you drove the seal in.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:22 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by damoroso
There are 2 seals that can be leaking. One is the front pump seal, some use the retaining ring some don't. I don't have one on mine, but some guys swear by it. The other is the pump seal itself. It's the O ring that goes around the pump. It has be be installed with the stripe outside, and if it's not lubed before it's installed it can tear easily on installation. You're gonna have to pull it either way, I'd just be prepared for both. The good news is the parts are cheap!!

I guess I'll know once I pull the tranny. I'm away working now so it will be a month or so before I get at it. I really appreciate the help. I'll probably have to get more information from you when I get at it.
Thanks again

C
Old 09-04-2010, 05:26 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by HBZ_81_C3
There is a fluid drain hole that needs to be opened up to relieve some of the pressure on the front seal in a performance application.You may want to check with the builder to see if this was done. if not here is what needs to be done.
First drill the front seal area drain hole(angled passage viewed from the front of the pump with the seal removed)to a 1/4". Drill the intersecting passage and mating passage in rear pump half to 5/16". This will help front seal drain back to the pan and will keep from blowing the front seal out.
I would also think about a 10 vein pump with billet sealing rings instead of the 13 vein pump. As I understand from several builders that specialize in 200-4R's it creates more issues than it cures.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll be asking more questions when I get the thing apart and look at it. Thanks

C
Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

After you drill out the drain back hole and put in the new seal, use the seal retainer you have too. It's like a belt and suspenders, but it will cure the front seal problems for good.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HBZ_81_C3

If you're pulling it apart, go back to the 10 vane pump. It's all you need and it's stronger than the 13 vane version. The 13 vane version may give a bit more steady pressure, but it's weaker too, and you'll never notice the difference in how steady the pressure is...
Old 09-05-2010, 09:59 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso

If you're pulling it apart, go back to the 10 vane pump. It's all you need and it's stronger than the 13 vane version. The 13 vane version may give a bit more steady pressure, but it's weaker too, and you'll never notice the difference in how steady the pressure is...
Yeh, Mitchell tranny supply here in Jax also recommends the 10 vane pumps, they seem to know their stuff so I just go with their advice, not rong yet....

Old 09-05-2010, 09:01 PM
cboyd
Racer

Cool. Thanks guys... 10 vane itr is then.
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 2004R trans, B&M 2400 stall, fluid leak.

Quick Reply: 2004R trans, B&M 2400 stall, fluid leak.