C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Right mirror install

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 AM
robs68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1968 Right mirror install

Well I got a really nice set of reproduction GM licensed mirrors. On the 68 the mirrors are only about 3 inches back from the front of the door.69-79 they are back about 10 or so inches.The right side is mounted with rubber swell nuts.My only concern is on my 68 is there enough room behind the door panel that far forward for everything to clear inside.This car is painted and completed. I don't need a surprise after I drill the door.I will tape it up start with a small drill and go to the size it fits tight in. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS ON AN EARLY 1968, mine is one of the 1st 1500 thanks.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You need to decide if it's more important to have the mirror in the 'correct' placement...as it came from the factory....OR if you want to see what is behind you when driving. The early '68 mirror placement was not the best for "safety" purposes. Plus, if you are going to put a right-side mirror on your car [the factory did NOT install these...only installed by the dealer and is not considered 'correct' by NCRS], placing it similarly to the early '68 location will render it totally useless.

If you are going to drive the car regularly, put the mirror in the '69-'76 location and take a minor 'hit' on the NCRS points (also for the right-side mirror).

Note: In my opinion, NCRS is doing a great disservice to the driving Corvette community by deducting points for the right-side mirror. They should share some concern about owner safety and allow the right-side mirror with no deduction in points.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
...If you are going to drive the car regularly, put the mirror in the '69-'76 location and take a minor 'hit' on the NCRS points (also for the right-side mirror)...
Go slowly on that. If you move the existing mirror back, you'll have two holes in the door to fill and paint.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:56 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Posted already in your other thread. I have left + right mirrors in the 68 early fwd position.
Plenty of space behind the panel for the well nuts.

Just as a note. Only early 68 have the mirrors in the fwd position.

Late 68 versions as of about February build date have them further back same as later C3s.

Rgds. Günther

Note: In my opinion, NCRS is doing a great disservice to the driving Corvette community by deducting points for the right-side mirror. They should share some concern about owner safety and allow the right-side mirror with no deduction in points.

Correct, specially when this where dealer options , hence semi correct.

Last edited by WESCH; 09-09-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

Just to put things in perspective, the deduction for a right side mirror is 1 or 2 points out of 4500. The deduction for a burnt out dash lamp is 25 points...........
Old 09-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WESCH

Correct, specially when this where dealer options , hence semi correct.
I agree. They don't deduct for PO1 / PO2 wheel covers - and the dealer installed those as well.

Save the 2 point deduction for those that move the early 68 mirrors to the safer location.

-W
Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Clams Canino
I agree. They don't deduct for PO1 / PO2 wheel covers - and the dealer installed those as well.

Save the 2 point deduction for those that move the early 68 mirrors to the safer location.

-W
PO1 or PO2 are factory options, not dealer. That's why there's no deduction.

The NCRS mirror deduction is assessed no matter where it's mounted.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

This may not be relevant but there is a template for that job. This one came from Willcox.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 Right mirror install

Quick Reply: 1968 Right mirror install