C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tach cable doesn't work with mallory distributor

Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tach cable doesn't work with mallory distributor

I got a new tach cable from zip for my 71. The distributor end of the cable is square and the tach end is a plastic piece.

the distributor end (square metal) that rotates doesn't seem to work with my mallory distributor. It goes in but it doesn't rotate with the distributor.

Anyone delt with this? Maybe they make an adapter? I have searched and found nothing.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:33 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes there a re 2 different type of ends in the Dist tack drive. Remove drive end and see what piece you have in there>
IIRC there is a square(what you need) and one that is round with a notch
Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 PM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

^ Thanks. I think I found it http://www.malloryperformance.com/Pr...minselection=5
Old 09-16-2010, 12:52 AM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

No go to the mallory PDF catalog on page 50 you'll see what you need.
Page 52 of 150 in the catalog
http://www.malloryperformance.com/pdf/MALLORY.pdf
Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 AM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

I had distributor from Mallory that drove the tach cable backwards, took for ever to get them to agree to replace it, correct part number was on the distributor.
I've had better experinces with customer service, had a hard time getting a hold of a rep, left many messages,next time will go with MSD for this reason!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:39 PM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

What a mess. I bought the mallory corvette shaft and gear and it does not work with the tach cable I got from Zip.. dang it!

Picture coming tomorrow. I have to figure this out.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

ok so here it goes
I bought this http://www.malloryperformance.com/Pr...minselection=5
and the tach cable for my car from ZIP. It has a square end
On the left is the cable end, middle is the new corvette drive and gear, right is the one that was in it.

The cable goes into the end of it but it just rotates, the inside of the new shaft is round for some reason. Even if the square cable worked in it, the shaft will not go into the dist. because the gearing is opposite so it has to go in the opposite side of the dist to work and that won't work because my tach is on the other side. UGH! i am lost

Last edited by arcticcatmatt; 09-26-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:19 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I think you need this...... http://apps.msdignition.com/dist_68.htm

Or at least this is what is required with the MSD system. Maybe Mallory makes one... I don't know.

It has a square hole that slides over the factory cable and round with a tit to be driven by the aftermarket distributor.

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 09-26-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 PM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

Articcatmatt
You can switch from side to side on these distributor bodies, remove the tach drive from the left side and remove the fitting from the right, switch the components from side to side.
I think this will drive your tach backwards though, because of the new reverse cable drive gears being reversed.
My cable from ZIP had a square end,my problem was with a reverse drive distributor from Mallory.
I have a vacuum advance canister on my distributor, and when installing it I ended up with a straight shot with the cable.
I had some interference with my intake manifold as my engine is a GMPP ZZ454 with a GMPP Intake, the rear right runners would hit the canister if I placed it where I had it before.
Are you sure you have a tach cable and not a speedo cable, some were two cables?
Old 09-27-2010, 11:09 AM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

Thanks Willcox Vette - I called Mallory this morning and they told me they don't have anything like that. They said the corvette requires a gear that is backwards and square bore. They said I must have been sent the wrong part so I am getting a new one in the mail.

KanuckZ06 - Yes I am aware I need to put it in from the opposite side. Problem with that is how do I get the tach cable in it then.. my tach cable will look like a pretzel and I don't think it is even long enough to do that.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:07 AM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

You're correct Matt, you don't want to have the cable on the right side of the car.
When you get the correct parts from MALLORY, if you still have a problem installing the cable, you might consider one of those angled tach drive adapters, all the corvette suplliers have them in the catalogs.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM
arcticcatmatt
Racer

Well summit was trying to screw me on a replacement.. I ended up getting it and it has a square hole.. BUT it still wont' go into the correct side of the dist.. I called mallory. They said I need 25711E and it will go right in, its on the last page of this pdf http://www.malloryperformance.com/pd...yDrawings2.pdf

I am going to get one of those but I am worried everything will spin backwards. ugh.

Get notified of new replies

To Tach cable doesn't work with mallory distributor

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tach cable doesn't work with mallory distributor