C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Booster Vacuum Leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Pvette76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Booster Vacuum Leak?

The brake booster was disconnected when I bought the car (1976). So I connected it back up and the brakes seem to work fine but I hear a hissing sounds like a vacuum leak. So when I plug up the vacuum hose the noise stops but the car idle does not change. I thought the idle would get worse if it is leaking. So is the hissing sound normal or should I replace the brake booster?
Old 09-18-2010, 02:00 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a hissing sound made from dispelling air is normal when pressing the pedal but if its a continual noise that never stops then you have a bad booster/vacum leak.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:03 PM
Pvette76
Advanced

I just found the leak. I did replace the master cylinder and it didn't have a gasket. The old one didn't either so I didn't think much of it. But if I put my hand on the bottom I can feel the leak. Some web sites show the gasket and other do not. So I will buy some gasket material or gasket in a tube and see what happens.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:00 PM
anonymizer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pvette76
The brake booster was disconnected when I bought the car (1976). So I connected it back up and the brakes seem to work fine but I hear a hissing sounds like a vacuum leak. So when I plug up the vacuum hose the noise stops but the car idle does not change. I thought the idle would get worse if it is leaking. So is the hissing sound normal or should I replace the brake booster?
I'm going through this right now with my '82. Idle drops with leaky (or bad) PB, but when I open the vac hose (release from PB check valve), idle increases.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:50 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

The area between the booster and master cylinder needs to breathe. A vacuum leak there indicates the front seal of the booster is leaking. If you seal the two together, you take a chance of sucking brake fluid from the rear of the master into the booster. You either need a new front seal for the booster(which is not readily available) or a new booster.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Booster Vacuum Leak?

Quick Reply: Brake Booster Vacuum Leak?