C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel end play

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 12:10 PM
jshepard77
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel end play

I had my '79 on the lift today to do a quick look around and I was doing a push-pull check on the wheels. To me it feels that there is a lot of play in the wheel bearings...but I don't have a very experienced feel.

I read the procedure for checking the end-play in the shop manual. I didn't disconnect the drive shaft like the book says, but I did set up a dial indicator to check the end play anyway. The dial indicator is showing me .008" of movement. I'll attach a picture showing the setup I used...I'm measuring from one of the bots on the spindle flange. I was surprised that it was only .008" because when I feel the movement with my hands on the tires, it feels like there is a lot more than that. I would guess that it was between 1/16" and 1/8" of movement at the edge of the tires where my hands are. I can feel a definite clunk, both with hands at 12:00/6:00 and 9:00/3:00.

My question is more of feel...To me, I would have guessed by feel alone that the bearings needed to be tightened up. (which I think involves removing the spindle and adjusting some shims inside...I don't think I want to get into that). But, according to my dial indicator (which I don't think is set up 100% correct), I'm within tolerance...though at the high limit. So, does a wheel with normal end play have a little bit of a clunk in it?

I have no other bearing symptoms...no grinding, whining, or any other noises that I can hear.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Heath66
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts

The rear wheels should have no noticable play like you describe. This very thing happened to me last week. Did my checks before driving and found the drivers side rear wheel had some play in it, but no grinding or noise on the last drive into the garage. I had the bearings repalced locally on both sides and I saw the old bearings that came out and they were dry and starting to show signs of heat stress. So, my advice is to dig deeper and get a visual on their condition before you chew up a spindle.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:48 PM
0Paul Ruggeri
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're going to take it apart, replace the bearings. They don't cost that much. Be sure you don't have play in the side yokes in the diff. Have someone watch the yoke while you push-pull at 12 and 6.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel end play

Quick Reply: Rear wheel end play