C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF 6 speed into a C3? How much fab needed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 04:23 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ZF 6 speed into a C3? How much fab needed?

Hi All,
Second gear is starting to pop out when I/m trolling at low speeds.
I'm thinking that I'll need to rebuild the T10, but maybe you guys know better.

I have a ZF6 speed in the garage from a C4 project that is gone.
Should I sell the tranny and move on or put it in the C3?
I would like an extra forward gear or two, and could swap in 3.70s with no worries with 5 and 6th gears...

Has Anyone on the board done the conversion?
Is there a faq on it or can anyone tell me how much work it is, and how much fab is necessary to mount it up?

Happy Easter
Thanks always for the help
Old 03-31-2002, 07:37 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: ZF 6 speed into a C3? How much fab needed? (Evan Ginsberg)

Be ME, I"d sell that ZF for about 1500 bux and take the money toward another tranny that will fit better without butchering up so much stuff in the tranny tunnel the console shift plate will no longer fit nicely....too boot the tailshaft mount is completely differant with no room for easy enough adaption...
I'm sure someone has done it, but overall, it's not worth it.....

GENE
Old 03-31-2002, 08:05 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need to widen the trans tunnel or anything. Just use a standard clutch setup (you will get more noise though). You have to shorten the driveshaft and use either the ZF yoke or one from a TH 400 (I used the 400 one, I'm building a new driveshaft from my old one and a half of a BB halfshaft, the yokes are the same size). Then you need to figure out the mounting on the trans member, the ZF has 2 bolts on the bottom and asome more on the side for the torque arm. You can either use them on a custom bracket or maybe mbuild a torque arm.

I'm nowhere near finished but the ZF should fit. The stick will come out in about the same position as the auto shifter, a little further backwards.

It's not an easy bolt in, there's some fabbing to it!

Marck
Old 03-31-2002, 09:17 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Richmond 5 and 6 speeds are a bolt-in. They make the super T-10; Only mod is to move trans mount a little; same overall length; no driveshaft cutting.....
got the R.O.D. 6 in the '79; best move I made with the car!
:crazy: :chevy :chevy :crazy:
Old 03-31-2002, 01:12 PM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Evan,

I knew that someone would be interested in installing a ZF in a C3 on this forum eventually!!

I know that Gary White "GWHITE75" on the forum installed a T-56 trans in his '75. The ZF and T-56 units are DIFFERENT but I would think that there may be some similairities between them....

I do know that with the ZF you would have to convert over to at hydraulic clutch assembly from a C4. The T-56 that Gary used was an aftermarket version that allowed the use of his stock mechanical clutch.

I think that whoever decides to try and install it will have to go through "trial and error" to get it in there since it hasn't been done to my knowledge at this point. You should be the first.

Here is Gary's site in case you are interested in seeing what he did:
http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/gwhite75/index.htm

I would have to agree with MassVette. The Richmond six speed was the best thing I added to the car so far and it would be alot easier to install than that ZF since I haven't seen one installed in a C3 yet.... BUT, since you already have the trans, it may be cheaper to make the necessary modifications to get it to work rather than buying a Richmond six.

Bob :cheers:

[Modified by Bob Turner, 9:16 AM 3/31/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To ZF 6 speed into a C3? How much fab needed?

Quick Reply: ZF 6 speed into a C3? How much fab needed?