C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which way should I run the electric choke wire?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
capth4u
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which way should I run the electric choke wire?

Hello, I am having a little issue with trying to run this electric choke wire without it looking out of place! I thought about getting another breaded hose (smallest I can find) and running it in the hose. Any ideas? Thank you all

Old 09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You can run the wire as you have it but cover it with convoluted tubing. I my wire through the firewall and to an accessory recepticle on the fuse panel. I have a 79 which uses the blade type fuse though. I'm assuming you are going to splice in to the windshield wiper motor wiring?
Old 09-23-2010, 05:33 PM
capth4u
Advanced

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
You can run the wire as you have it but cover it with convoluted tubing. I my wire through the firewall and to an accessory recepticle on the fuse panel. I have a 79 which uses the blade type fuse though. I'm assuming you are going to splice in to the windshield wiper motor wiring?
Im going to run it to the fuse box
Old 09-23-2010, 08:48 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

It's kind of hard to see in this photo, but that's the whole point. I used black wire and ran it along the rubber tube for the choke vacuum (my card doesn't supply choke vacuum) and along the vacuum line for the distributor can. I used the smallest black zip ties I could find to keep them all together. I ran the wire through the firewall to the IGN term on the fuse block and put a 10A fuse in the line.

Pete
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 PM
vettes4evr
Racer

If you have an idle solenoid (brown wire), you can tap off of that and wrap around the carb base out of view. I can't see if you have one in the pic with your air cleaner on.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 PM
mj9311
Racer

you can splice into the yellow wiper motor wire your talking about?? just a keyed 12v feed correct?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:06 PM
RIO68
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mj9311
you can splice into the yellow wiper motor wire your talking about?? just a keyed 12v feed correct?
Yep--as long as it turns hot only when you turn the key on--
Old 09-23-2010, 11:38 PM
capth4u
Advanced

Thanks ... Yes... it has to be a 12v feed when the key is on ... I just need to find a way to hide it or make it less obvious .... I had the engine all apart and I almost have it all together now.... I dont have the distributor on yet but I know that there is a hose that connects to the distributor to the manifold vacuum port and another small hose that runs off that same 3 way port but not sure what it goes to. I do have the pcv connected to the carb already. Ill upload a few more photos to help give you all a better idea what Im working with. Thank you all

Old 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM
TeaEye
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

How about the windshield washer yellow wire -- will it also work? My car is apart and can't try. The washer sits on the wiper motor and has a yellow and blue wire. Easier to tap into!
Old 09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Here is a better photo showing how I ran my choke wire. Using a black wire will help hide it if that is your goal.

I might get flamed for this, but tapping the power from the wiper motor circuit sounds like a Bubba trick to me. There is a power tab on the fuse box made for tapping power. Use the IGN tap for your choke. You need a female spade connector and an inline fuse, 10A, ought to do it. Label the wire at the fuse box as electric choke and no future owner or person working on the electrical system will be confused.

Pete
Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 AM
TeaEye
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice engine Pete!

Agree the black wire is stealthier than the red -- but since black is universaly accepted as a ground, and we don't want to incite the flamers, I'll add a red tape band at both ends and every 12 inches on the wire!

Thanks for the idea!
Old 09-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
Here is a better photo showing how I ran my choke wire. Using a black wire will help hide it if that is your goal.

I might get flamed for this, but tapping the power from the wiper motor circuit sounds like a Bubba trick to me. There is a power tab on the fuse box made for tapping power. Use the IGN tap for your choke. You need a female spade connector and an inline fuse, 10A, ought to do it. Label the wire at the fuse box as electric choke and no future owner or person working on the electrical system will be confused.

Pete
Thanks for the pic of the fuse box Pete. I was unsure if there was a recepticle for the wire since his vehicle's fuse panel uses glass fuses.
The following users liked this post:
Primoz (05-01-2017)
Old 09-25-2010, 02:22 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Originally Posted by TeaEye
Nice engine Pete!

Agree the black wire is stealthier than the red -- but since black is universaly accepted as a ground, and we don't want to incite the flamers, I'll add a red tape band at both ends and every 12 inches on the wire!

Thanks for the idea!
That's a good idea to mark the wire with red!

Pete

Get notified of new replies

To Which way should I run the electric choke wire?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which way should I run the electric choke wire?