C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight sticks

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:09 PM
sgtk2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlight sticks

I have one headlight the sticks during retraction. It seems the left headlight sticks for 2 seconds after the right one has already retracted. And when it goes down, it goes down with some force. Any suggestions? I know nothing about how the headlight system works on the C3 Vettes...
Old 09-27-2010, 10:52 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

mine does the same thing they never seem to be synchronized
Old 09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
My suggestion would be to disconnect both hoses from the vacuum actuator so you can move the door open and closed by hand while sensing for any binding in the mechanism. If you feel it bind you'll need to find the location by looking up through the bottom of the front valance panel.
If you don't feel anything binding it's a problem with the vacuum actuator or vacuum relay.
I wouldn't touch the headlight mechanism or vacuum parts with out the AIM, the GM Chassis Service Manual, and a headlight trouble shooting guide.
Regards,
Alan

My bet would be either the 'close' side of the accuator leaks so it takes a moment for the vacuum to be strong enough to close the door,or the 'fully open' lock needs to be adjusted so the accuator can overcome it as quickly as it should.

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-28-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 PM
sgtk2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi s,
My suggestion would be to disconnect both hoses from the vacuum actuator so you can move the door open and closed by hand while sensing for any binding in the mechanism. If you feel it bind you'll need to find the location by looking up through the bottom of the front valance panel.
If you don't feel anything binding it's a problem with the vacuum actuator or vacuum relay.
I wouldn't touch the headlight mechanism or vacuum parts with out the AIM, the GM Chassis Service Manual, and a headlight trouble shooting guide.
Regards,
Alan

My bet would be either the 'close' side of the accuator leaks so it takes a moment for the vacuum to be strong enough to close the door,or the 'fully open' lock needs to be adjusted so the accuator can overcome it as quickly as it should.
Thanks for the advise. Just orded my AIM. Since when it close it is with great force, so thinking it may be the lock. Do you know how that is adjusted? or will I find it in the AIM? Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight sticks

Quick Reply: Headlight sticks