C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 front 74 back bumpers on a 77

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:23 PM
myc3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 73 front 74 back bumpers on a 77

Can a fiberglass front bumper for a 73 and a fiberglass rear bumper for a 74 be bonded to a 77. I want to create seamless front and rear bumpers on my 77 that do not have the small black bumpers that stick out.

I thought about the 80 - 82 style bumpers for the front and back but I did not want to change the look that much. I think seamless without those little black bumpers would look sweet and it would retain the original lines of the car.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:27 PM
myk7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear bumper cover should work, The 73 front bumper covers have a straight seam, 77s are not straight. I imagine it can be done, but not easily.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by myk7
The rear bumper cover should work, The 73 front bumper covers have a straight seam, 77s are not straight. I imagine it can be done, but not easily.
can be done with a bunch of work
Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
myc3
Racer

Originally Posted by stpman
can be done with a bunch of work
I just went to the ACI website and now I see what you mean about the straight seam on the 73 front.

It looks like a seamless 80 - 82 style front and a 74 rear is the only bolt on option that gets rid of the little black bumpers.

Not sure if that would look right. Didnt really want to change the lines of the car. Just want to go seamless and lose those small black bumpers. They look like a mistake to me.

If I assume that the 74 rear bumper will work on a 77 then the only remaining issue is the small black fake bumpers on the front.

Is there a way to remove the small bumpers on the front of a fiberglass 77 bumper? Would that require a lot of fiberglass repair work?

Suggestions?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:06 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by myc3
I just went to the ACI website and now I see what you mean about the straight seam on the 73 front.

It looks like a seamless 80 - 82 style front and a 74 rear is the only bolt on option that gets rid of the little black bumpers.

Not sure if that would look right. Didnt really want to change the lines of the car. Just want to go seamless and lose those small black bumpers. They look like a mistake to me.

If I assume that the 74 rear bumper will work on a 77 then the only remaining issue is the small black fake bumpers on the front.

Is there a way to remove the small bumpers on the front of a fiberglass 77 bumper? Would that require a lot of fiberglass repair work?

Suggestions?

The rear '74 onto a '75-'82 car is a bolt on simple job. You'll need to remove the steel bumperette brackets under your old cover as well as modify the lic plate light, but it's all easy work.

The tail lights mount directly to your stock brackets through the '74 holes.

Filling the seam would also be straight forward. I installed a '74 bumper on my '79 for the same reason you're interested.

As for the front bumper, if you plan to bond the bumper covers and fill the body line, the notch in the front cover is no big deal....just fill it in with glass. The issue is the underlying grills and turn signal brackets are different so you would need to change front grills/parking lights also to install the '74 front cover. I just shaved the front bumperettes from a '75-'79 flex glass cover as it was easier.

Under the front cover, the center nose support just unbolts, this gives you plenty of room behind the cover to remove the bumperrettes.

You could shave more off the front bumperettes to make them look more like the '74 bumper, but you'd also have to rebuild/modify the center license plate area of the cover. I just chopped off the outer half of the front bumperettes to the factory line because it made it simple to blend back in.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM
myc3
Racer

Thank you for the pictures and the advice.

You have done just what I want with the bumpers. The only things that will be differerent is that I will not install spoilers and I will bond the bumpers to make it seamless. I want the body to have uninterrupted, flowing lines. Nothing sticking out from the body.

Do you have any head on pictures of the front bumper?

Has anyone used the ZR Rear Bumper?
Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Thank you for the pictures and the advice.

You have done just what I want with the bumpers. The only things that will be differerent is that I will not install spoilers and I will bond the bumpers to make it seamless. I want the body to have uninterrupted, flowing lines. Nothing sticking out from the body.

Do you have any head on pictures of the front bumper?

Has anyone used the ZR Rear Bumper?
The ZR rear bumper just doesn't look right IMO. It looks OK from the rear, but from the side the body lines just don't work for me.

Same with the bolt on 80-82 front bumpers on a 75-79. From the front they look good, but from the side, they look long.

Only picture I have of the front straight up is from assembly.

I need to take some completed pics.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:39 PM
myc3
Racer

Originally Posted by blckslvr79
The ZR rear bumper just doesn't look right IMO. It looks OK from the rear, but from the side the body lines just don't work for me.

Same with the bolt on 80-82 front bumpers on a 75-79. From the front they look good, but from the side, they look long.

I need to take some completed pics.
I agree completely with what you have said about the look of the 80-82 front and rear bumpers. They do make the front and rear bumper areas look to long. The 80-82 spoiler on the 74-77 also do not curve up at an angle like the 68-73. That is what has kept me from making that change. That is also why I have decided to try and find front and rear bumpers without the bumperettes.

The only other thing I would consider is to somehow graft the 68-73 rear soiler and tail onto the area of the 77 rear bumper. I would not install a chrome bumper. I think it would be perfect.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anything is possible, if that is what you want to do!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 PM
blckslvr79
Drifting

I agree completely with what you have said about the look of the 80-82 front and rear bumpers. They do make the front and rear bumper areas look to long. The 80-82 spoiler on the 74-77 also do not curve up at an angle like the 68-73. That is what has kept me from making that change. That is also why I have decided to try and find front and rear bumpers without the bumperettes.

The only other thing I would consider is to somehow graft the 68-73 rear soiler and tail onto the area of the 77 rear bumper. I would not install a chrome bumper. I think it would be perfect.
It's been done.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Here is my 76 with the 80 style front and rear bumpers. They were on the car when I bought it. I've always loved the rear bumper on these cars. The front isn't too bad either.

Get notified of new replies

To 73 front 74 back bumpers on a 77

Quick Reply: 73 front 74 back bumpers on a 77