C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power brake booster

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 08:50 AM
red99bird
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power brake booster

How much grief will I expect to run into if I change my power brake booster & master cylinder for new ones??
Thanks, Jackie
Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It's not all that bad. You will have difficulty getting to the booster mounting screws (remove seat...it's easier), you will need to bench-bleed the new master cylinder, and you need to compare old and new parts to make sure that you are replacing with the correct components.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:44 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

if you are going that far.... i would suggest you replace the vacuum unit with a hydro boost..... ~$300...... but what an upgrade!

make sure you have a long extension wrench, with a universal joint near the socket. and even if you cant see that 4th bolt.... its there..

good luck,,, p:-)
Old 09-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Boosters seldom fail. Do you need one?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good info. What are the advantages of the hydraboost over the stock power b booster? Added stopping power, Does it take up less room?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Good info. What are the advantages of the hydraboost over the stock power b booster? Added stopping power, Does it take up less room?
Provides 800 psi hydraulic assist (from power steering pump) compared to maybe 15 inches of vacuum boost to your brake pedal. Designed for heavier diesel-powered vehicles but used in Astro vans and other light vehicles. In a big block Vette engine compartment it makes the driver side a lot easier to work on:
Old 09-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Very nice. I like that. Nice and clean looking. That would come in handy with the BB.
Per Red99 question above, how long would it take to remove the old booster and install this? do you need anything specific for the power steering assembly and do you have to re-bleed the brake system?
Old 09-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
Very nice. I like that. Nice and clean looking. That would come in handy with the BB.
Per Red99 question above, how long would it take to remove the old booster and install this? do you need anything specific for the power steering assembly and do you have to re-bleed the brake system?
If you have small hands, long arms, and a high pain threshold, removing the booster is a piece of cake. I would guess this is a one-day job if you have all the parts needed for the conversion. You can do the job without having to re-bleed the brakes but you have to be very careful moving the master cylinder. I would unbolt the brake pipe distribution and switch assembly from the frame to get some extra wiggle room.

You can save some money by buying the parts and pieces and putting it together yourself. That tends to stretch the time needed for the project but if the cost is your driving factor, it's the way to go. You can find the units on diesel powered pickups (Fords and Chevys) in the junk yards and get some tees and hoses at NAPA or one of the other retail stores. I bought a rebuilt booster from Rock Auto for $200 (including core charge and shipping). Then I blew about $500 more on master cylinders, braided Teflon lines and fittings. It's all just a symptom of an incurable disease....

Here's a couple of descriptions of typical installs on C3 Corvettes:
http://www.corvettec3.ca/hydro.htm
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...schematic.html

Hydratech Braking and Tallon Hydraulics are good sources for complete kits and/or the parts to complete your installation.
http://www.hydratechbraking.com/
http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/

Last edited by Bob Heine; 09-30-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bob Heine
If you have small hands, long arms, and a high pain threshold, removing the booster is a piece of cake. I would guess this is a one-day job if you have all the parts needed for the conversion. You can do the job without having to re-bleed the brakes but you have to be very careful moving the master cylinder. I would unbolt the brake pipe distribution and switch assembly from the frame to get some extra wiggle room.

You can save some money by buying the parts and pieces and putting it together yourself. That tends to stretch the time needed for the project but if the cost is your driving factor, it's the way to go. You can find the units on diesel powered pickups (Fords and Chevys) in the junk yards and get some tees and hoses at NAPA or one of the other retail stores. I bought a rebuilt booster from Rock Auto for $200 (including core charge and shipping). Then I blew about $500 more on master cylinders, braided Teflon lines and fittings. It's all just a symptom of an incurable disease....

Here's a couple of descriptions of typical installs on C3 Corvettes:
http://www.corvettec3.ca/hydro.htm
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...schematic.html

Hydratech Braking and Tallon Hydraulics are good sources for complete kits and/or the parts to complete your installation.
http://www.hydratechbraking.com/
http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/
yup.... a agree......

a little more to add.... you can get all the hoses and related parts from Summit Racing, about $150....there used to be a CF member here (gone now) but sold remanufactured and modded units for $150, I can give you his email if you want, nice guy....

as far as braking, no it will not make you stop any faster, that is a product of your pads and rotors....
BUT, it will give a more linear action and consistent as well, no mushy peddle (that is as long as the brakes lines are free of air... no bleed off, ie you can push 100 times and the peddle feels the same every time,,,, easier, and just a better feel in every way.

there are those who have hydro boost, and those who have never tried hydroboost....
Old 09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
1980ZZ4
Racer

Not a bad job to replace the stock unit...the fasteners under the dash are just difficult. Maybe 3- 4 hours if you have all the parts. You'll be surprised how simple the system is.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Letournour 1850
Instructor

Do not want to change sub but I have manual brakes How much of a problem is it to install a hyro boost system?? and how many $$$$.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:51 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Letournour 1850
Do not want to change sub but I have manual brakes How much of a problem is it to install a hyro boost system?? and how many $$$$.
i do not believe it would be much different than changing/converting to a regular vacuum pa system, the hydroboost just takes the place of the vacuum assist. and the plumbing is easy..
The only major part that I have installed that was easier than the HB was the Rack and Pinion system....this is not hard.... p:-)
Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Letournour 1850
Actually, hydroboost is a good solution for a manual to power brake conversion. The normal process to convert involves drilling and enlarging holes. I spoke to someone at Tallon Hydraulics a while back and they have a mounting plate for the manual brake location. If you don't want to put your own system together, Vette Brakes & Performance has one specifically made for your situation. As far as $$$$ goes, you might want to wait for a 20%-off sale:

http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...ke-Assist.html

One tiny issue with this setup is the master cylinder. Your cylinder bore is 1-inch on manual brakes so it will be super sensitive when you add the booster. The power brake master cylinder is 1-1/8 inch bore so it's a little less sensitive. Just something to keep in mind if you end up with power brakes that are too touchy. Everything I've heard about the hydroboost setup suggests that you wear a face protector for the test run (hockey mask like Jason's).

Last edited by Bob Heine; 09-30-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power brake booster

Quick Reply: Power brake booster