C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall valve covers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 03:48 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tall valve covers?

Will Tall BBC valve covers fit under a BB hood? The 468 is going to have Harland Sharpe roller rockers in it, so I'm pretty sure I'll need tall valve covers.

Just getting paranoid.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Tall valve covers? (Steve Straus)

Steve, the hood's no problem. If you have power brakes, that WILL be a problem ;)

If you do have/want power brakes, you can run the "Hydroboost" power brakes (Norval's system), or run shaft mount rockers under short covers (Jesel $800). I'm doing both :)

I think Sharp also sells a more expensive rocker that does just barely fit under the short covers.

-Joe
Old 04-01-2002, 09:44 AM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tall valve covers? (Flareside)

I running the Jesel shaft mouted rocker setup on my 509 and they would not fit under a short cover.
Purchased some polished aluminum ones and they hit the brake booster like you said.
I have tried to keep the engine compartment looking as stock as possible so I went ahead and converted to manual brakes.
I tried tracking down a smaller booster with no luck.
Manual 4 wheel disk does not bother me.
Old 04-01-2002, 09:56 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tall valve covers with the hydra boost system fit with lots of room. I have a crane stud girdle which required the tall covers and like others could not find a power brake booster small enough to fit so went with the hydraboost and love the power and compact size.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:29 AM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Steve,
I'm running Crane roller rockers and some tall chrome covers I bought on Ebay. The cover would not clear the brake booster, so I massaged it with a huge 2.5" socket and mallet. When it's all together, you can't see where I modified it. This won't work with aluminum covers, or any other type of cast material, but it worked fine with stamped steel. The chrome didn't even chip off. However, you'll find that using the tall covers, and power brakes with really cramp the vacuum distribution system. There is very little room to run all the vacuum lines with the tall covers.

Good luck.
Old 04-01-2002, 12:04 PM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should be ok. I have manual brakes and don't plan on going to power.

Thanks!

--
Steve
Old 04-01-2002, 10:09 PM
corvette kid 427
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the guys out there that have A/C, the tall valve covers will not fit on the right side of the motor. My 69 L68 which is soon to sport a 540/750 horse Dart Big M based engine ( better than the Merlin 2 ) will just squeeze by on the manual brake side(motor left) but will not fit on the A/C, heater core side(motor right). Even though I have removed the A/C compressor and some of the lines, you have to deal with the glass box that's mounted to the firewall. The answer is to have a notch cut out of the back right section of the tall valve cover and have it welded back in a way that will fit with your combo. Merlin522's motor has this type of service done to it's valve covers. Check them out. Whether he did that because of the firewall or something else, that is the procedure in effect.

Get notified of new replies

To Tall valve covers?

Quick Reply: Tall valve covers?