C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing VIR with receiver/dryer and expansion valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 11:56 AM
john73bb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing VIR with receiver/dryer and expansion valve

Has anyone replaced their VIR with a regular receiver/dryer and expansion valve? If so, what parts are needed, how did you handle tubing changes, and what else do I need to look out for to do this swap?

I have heard that the VIR can be unreliable. I had what I thought was a compressor failure, and now think that it was actually just a bad valve in the VIR. So, getting rid of it seems like a good idea since I have my AC apart now anyway.

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Replacing VIR with receiver/dryer and expansion valve (john73bb)

The systems with the Suction Throttling Valve (VIR) and an A-6 compressor were probably the best A/C systems ever produced. I also like the ability to adjust the pressure for conversion to R134a refrigerant. However, it is tough to find new or good quality rebuilt units, so it is often replaced. I can find out the details from a guy here in the Sacramento area (Weekend Air) that has done this a number of times and get back to you if you want. E-mail me at hcabplanalp@ucdavis.edu...

Hans
Old 04-01-2002, 02:50 PM
john73bb
Racer

Default Re: Replacing VIR with receiver/dryer and expansion valve (Wrencher)

They may be great systems, but I wonder about the reliability. I put in a completely new AC system (my car didn't have AC when I bought it). The condensor, evaporator, compressor, and VIR were all either new or rebuilt.

After running the system for one summer, I noticed one day that when the clutch engaged, there was a grinding sound, and sparks were coming from the clutch. I disconnected the wire from the compressor at that point. I noticed that the compressor was very difficult to turn over (which is why the clutch was grinding I assume).

I removed the compressor later, and after removing it, found that it turns over very easily. I don't know if the compressor is bad or if the VIR is bad or what, but I have already got a new compressor (used on 96 and later chevy pickups), and would like to go to a simpler system like either the expansion valve system, or even an orifice sytem.

I really like having AC, and want it to be reliable. So, if you know someone who has done this conversion, yes, I would love to hear more.

Thanks,

John.
Old 04-01-2002, 11:59 PM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

ttt

I'd like to hear more about this as well.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:17 AM
Fleetwood
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the orifice valve on my 79 system,& would like to here from anyone that has upgraded to a variable orifice valve,which I believe is a superior
valve,before I put my system back together.I have heard that a VOV gives you better cooling performance at lower revs.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I CAN tell you is that my stock 69 A/C works great. I converted it to R134a without making any changes except the oil and a dryer designed for R134a. It kkeep my cool even in the 95deg+ summur heat here in Florida. :cheers:
Old 04-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Scott78
Drifting

Default Re: Replacing VIR with receiver/dryer and expansion valve (silvervetteman)

I just got done fixing my A/C and added the VOV(variable orifice valve) haven't gotten it in for the charge yet. The literature that came with it proclaimed an 8-12 degree colder output over standard valve, we'll see.
Scott

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing VIR with receiver/dryer and expansion valve

Quick Reply: Replacing VIR with receiver/dryer and expansion valve