C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gelcoat on SMC

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Lights
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Gelcoat on SMC

I’m helping a friend do bodywork on a 73 front end. After reading Ecklers complete guide to Corvette Fiberglass Repair and watching Ecklers video on Fiberglass repair We ordered the correct SMC compatible resin and mat to do some small repairs followed by the SMC compatible body filler we then proceeded to apply a thick coat of gelcoat. We applied the Gelcoat yesterday and allowed it to sit overnight before sanding it. Last night I then started to look on the web for info on weather or not any additional coats were needed and I now see that we may have made a mistake. No where in the Ecklers video or the Ecklers book does it say NOT to use Gelcoat on SMC. What are my options? Be gentle
Old 10-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

NO, you can not use a polyester gelcoat on SMC. You need to use epoxy primer. Sand it off back down to bare SMC and post this in the paint and body section.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:02 PM
ikwhite
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second that opinion, do not apply gelcoat on SMC, use epoxy primer as stated by Scott.

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
NO, you can not use a polyester gelcoat on SMC. You need to use epoxy primer. Sand it off back down to bare SMC and post this in the paint and body section.

Get notified of new replies

To Gelcoat on SMC

Quick Reply: Gelcoat on SMC