C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood support fupport cracking..... help in fiberglass repair needed.....

Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 AM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood support fupport cracking..... help in fiberglass repair needed.....

Today I realized my hood support bolt attaching location was breaking, pretty amused but what can I do.

Anyone had this problem?? any suggestion to fix it???

Also anyone with pictures of the insulation on the hood, how is it attached???

Anything missing here????

Old 11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
brando1118
Pro

Man that's a bummer. I had the same thing happen to me on a road trip from Rhode Island to Georgia. You need to have it professionally repaired. It needs to be someone familiar with Corvettes and Corvette/fiberglass body work. Mine gave out on me in Charlotte, NC and I was lucky enough to find a guy named Dub who owns Corvettes Etc. He charged me $250 and the job was done well. It took 5 days to get the hood back on the car because Dub informed me that the resin that he used to repair the crack had to cure. He said that was key for the longevity of the repair. I trusted him and what he said. The repair is still going strong 2 years later with many opening and closings of the hood. So the proof is in the work. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:53 AM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Brando, Manuel Thanks
Could you Post pics of THE repair???
Old 11-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, that one sucks... my 72's hood has the same problem and when I posted about it some time ago someone said it was most likely from where the fiberglass had fatigued and then when the hood was open and the latch wasn't released someone tried to close the hood and it fractured the mounting point there on the hood. I was told it had to be cut open from the top of the hood and go in through the backside. I have yet to fix this problem and am all ears and listening here for other suggestions...

sully
Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi s,
It looks like the nut plate rivets are gone and have allowed the plate to move. Can you see if the plate is still there?
Regards,
Alan

Old 12-05-2010, 05:15 PM
samuk
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Fixed

Not the best work of the world, but will do it.

Also added a thin metal plate as a reinforcement.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:58 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

my hood was broke at the hinge when i bought it .i is not a hard fix.it was my first time working with glass.i used a dremel to cut the glass.you can buy a kit for $10.00 .the hard part is getting the metal brace that the bolts go into in the right place .now is a good time to think about getting something cool on the inside of your hood .you have to do some paint work anyway.i want a set of cross-flags.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:24 PM
grahambb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vette Shop Near Dublin VA?

Hey guys and gals, rekindling this thread due to my 73’ is beginning to have this issue. Is there anything I can do to keep it from getting worse or a temporary fix? If not does anyone have a shop in the southwest part of VA they know does good glass work, or vette shop (specifically Dublin ,VA)?

BG
Old 07-29-2012, 08:06 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

take it off and repair it.its not that hard to do or you can have it fixed for not a lot of money.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:48 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Reviving a long dead thread.

My hood broke today too... under structure broke and came loose from the top surface
where the prop mechanism connects.

Too much pressure on old dry fiberglass I guess... anybody have a fix short of a new hood?

mardyn
Old 08-10-2015, 04:42 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by mardyn
Reviving a long dead thread.

My hood broke today too... under structure broke and came loose from the top surface
where the prop mechanism connects.

Too much pressure on old dry fiberglass I guess... anybody have a fix short of a new hood?

mardyn
Need a photo. Without a GOOD photo...it is just a guess.

DUB
Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by terry82
take it off and repair it.its not that hard to do or you can have it fixed for not a lot of money.
like I said in 2012 its not that hard to do.but you can take it in and get it fixed for less money than a new hood .and you wont have to paint it.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:19 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

I'll try and post up some photos of the damage asap... I've been pretty busy around here with other stuff the last few days.

My initial thought is to remove the hood, rebond the inner and outer structure back together
with some kind of panel adhesive, reinforce the under structure and then fab up and external brace to better distribute the load over a longer/wider area...

Oh yeah. I'm gonna do all this without damaging the paint on the top side of the hood.. but will have to repaint the repair area on the under side.

I've been quite agitated about how it was actually damaged (by a tech who was recharging the A/C), but it was really an accident and not much to do at this point but man up and fix it.

I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow

mardyn

Last edited by mardyn; 08-10-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 PM
mardyn
Safety Car

Pic #1:

Pic #2:

see crack in under structure on pic #1 and separation of under structure from top panel in pic #2.

Your thoughts on repair process would be appreciated greatly.

Thx
mardyn
Old 08-11-2015, 07:37 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The hood obviously has to come off. So the outer skin can be bonded to the inner structure.

As for the crack in the inner structure....it will need to prepped and laminated on to try to get it strong again. Do this as soon as you can so it does not get any worse....so when you lift the hood the inner structure does not crack further. The last thing you want is the inner structure to crack all the way and separate.

DUB

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Hood support fupport cracking..... help in fiberglass repair needed.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood support fupport cracking..... help in fiberglass repair needed.....