C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have this happen

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 AM
justatoy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have this happen

Last edited by justatoy; 01-07-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:07 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can have a puke if you drop a gear with big revs but you would know it happened cause it would be everywhere in your engine compartment and fair chance of a massive smoke up as it hits your exhaust. ....more likely it was someone elses trans fluid or yours was already overfull and leaked out at the bottom of the tube.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 AM
justatoy
Pro

fixed my fault

Last edited by justatoy; 01-07-2011 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
ylose
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RESTLESS 06
It was from mine im sure of that ... was smokeing on the exhust on the pass side.tranny oil was on the side of the block.and looks like it was coming from the top and down the tranny filler tube.. but it not leaking anymore i dont get it..
Could change the gasket on the dipstick (where the stick chute meets the trans case) in case it's losing its integrity and allowing the mentioned blowby on extreme pressure.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

I had this happen once in a pickup when the tranny overheated. Was pulling a trailer up a mountain and the trailer was admittedly heavier than the truck could handle.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:11 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I had a neighbor have this happen for several years on his Jeep. The dealer took the trans apart 2 times and it still did it. He finally rigged up a jug to catch and return the fluid. A couple years later I mentioned it to my trans guy and he said some of the 400 cases had internal cracks that would cause this condition. The dealership agreed to provide a 400 case being that it was out of warranty,my trans guy swapped all the internals to the new case and all was well.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:50 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This just had this happen to me as well. I was coming back into the neighborhood, and my wife was going out. We passed each other and I stopped to back up to talk to her. I hit it kinda hard in reverse, (smoked the tires a bit) we had a brief conversation, and then I went on to the house. The car was smoking just a little when I pulled into the garage, I lifted the hood and found the same thing. Trans fluid spattered on the passenger side valve cover and a little on the headers. I cleaned it up from the top of the car, the next morning, there was fluid on the garage floor.

Lifted the car up, cleaned up the mess and no problems since, the thing normally doesn't leak a drop. I know the fluid was right up to the full line, so it may have actually been a little over full. I'm sure it puked out the fill tube, there's a vent on the top of the trans and if the fluid would have come from there, it wouldn't have made it to the top of the engine.

Perhaps you were a bit overfull as well. I'd clean it up, make sure you're full of fluid (not over full!) and watch it for leaks.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone have this happen

Quick Reply: Anyone have this happen