C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size fusible links on starter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 AM
VettAgra
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What size fusible links on starter?

I am replacing the starter on my '76 with a mini and noticed that the wiring going to the starter has been worked on before. A PO cut the fusible links out and replaced them with what appears to be the wrong gauge links. I am going to solder in new links and clean up their work this weekend but not sure of the guage of wire that is coming down to the starter, or what gauge links I need. The '76 has a larger red (about 12awg) and a smaller orange wire that I am unsure of the size. Can someone help me out. Thanks, Kevin
Old 11-19-2010, 08:39 AM
vettme
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VettAgra
I am replacing the starter on my '76 with a mini and noticed that the wiring going to the starter has been worked on before. A PO cut the fusible links out and replaced them with what appears to be the wrong gauge links. I am going to solder in new links and clean up their work this weekend but not sure of the guage of wire that is coming down to the starter, or what gauge links I need. The '76 has a larger red (about 12awg) and a smaller orange wire that I am unsure of the size. Can someone help me out. Thanks, Kevin
I dont have my wire diag, in front of me but the fusible link goes the the fuse block. Im not aware of one that goes to the starter, too many amps to a starter.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:53 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

You should have 10 gauge wire going to the starter and a 14 gauge link protecting it.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
You should have 10 gauge wire going to the starter and a 14 gauge link protecting it.
I agree.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:14 AM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VettAgra
Not sure if this helps but this is how my '72 is wired:

A 12 gauge red wire goes from the solenoid to the fusible link, which is 14 gauge.

A 10 gauge red wire goes from the other side of the fusible link to the horn relay.

The (S)olenoid wire is a purple 12 gauge.

My diagram shows a 20 gauge yellow wire from the solenoid to the coil but your '76 shouldn't have this wire with the HEI distributor.

The second ground wire (first one goes to he block) is 14 gauge up to the blower motor ground and 18 gauge from the blower motor ground to the wiper motor ground.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 AM
Pvette76
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 76 as well. Those two wires go to the AMP meter. The Orange wire turns into the Black wire on the back of the AMP meter. The Red wire turns into the black/white wire on the AMP meter. My wiring diagram doesn't have the size of the wire. I think the wire is 12 and 14 gauge. I found this because my MAP meter wasn't working and one of the fusible links failed. I just repaired the wire but I need to replace them. I was going to use 14 and 16 gauge fusible links.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pvette76
I have a 76 as well. Those two wires go to the AMP meter. The Orange wire turns into the Black wire on the back of the AMP meter. The Red wire turns into the black/white wire on the AMP meter. My wiring diagram doesn't have the size of the wire. I think the wire is 12 and 14 gauge. I found this because my MAP meter wasn't working and one of the fusible links failed. I just repaired the wire but I need to replace them. I was going to use 14 and 16 gauge fusible links.
The orange links protecting the AMP gauge are 20 gauge.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Dewitt Corley
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fusable links on starter.

Originally Posted by vettme
I dont have my wire diag, in front of me but the fusible link goes the the fuse block. Im not aware of one that goes to the starter, too many amps to a starter.
Disable
There arefudable links on my L-48, 1979 corvette. How do I know this ? It's because I hooked the jumper cables up backwards and in doing so the fusible link for its job and shorted out in wire. I replaced with this. From Napa.

Fusible link for my L-48. 1978 corvette

Get notified of new replies

To What size fusible links on starter?

Quick Reply: What size fusible links on starter?