C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bilstein Sports VS QA1 Non-Adjustables

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:46 AM
classic72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bilstein Sports VS QA1 Non-Adjustables

I'm looking to upgrade all 4 shocks on my corvette this winter. At the moment I'm torn between the Bilstein Sports and the QA1 non-adjustables because I can't afford a set of QA1 single or double adjustables, besides for a cruiser / occasional track day '72 LT1 they really are a bit overkill. Basically, I have older Monroe shocks on it right now but I'd like to get something a bit more "sport" oriented for all 4 corners to make it handle better. I've searched and found lots on the Bilsteins but haven't found much on the QA1 non-adjustables, only the adjustable ones. So any input would be great!!

Just to give you an idea, here's the links on VBP's website:

http://www.vbandp.com/auto-parts.htm...category_id=46

http://www.vbandp.com/auto-parts.htm...category_id=46

Last edited by classic72; 10-24-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:36 PM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe QA1s have improved over the years but, I have never had a problem with Bilstiens can't say the same for the others.
Old 10-25-2014, 10:56 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i like the QA-1's. i don't think your wrong with either. i was told by a local SCCA racer that he likes them better than bilstien, while mine were on order.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:35 PM
classic72
Advanced

So I got a reply back from VBP about them:

"The QA-1 aluminum non-adjustable shocks would be real good on the ‘72. These have much bigger size (twice) shafts than the Bilsteins, and are valved about 60/40, to handle any composite (or steel) leaf spring. They are a low pressure gas shock. The adjustable shocks might not be necessary if you are not doing any autocrossing, etc."
Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM
classic72
Advanced

Here's a picture just to give an idea of the difference between shocks and the size of the shafts..

Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure exactly where the QA's fall relative to Bilstein Sports as far as jounce and rebound firmness are, but bear in mind that if you don't push your car anywhere near its limits very often the primary difference you'll notice between any two sets of non-adjustable shocks will most likely come down to ride comfort. They're both quality brands.

That said, tho manufacturers do a really good job at valving for generalized applications, surmising whether or not one set or another should more likely land nearer the bulls eye for the performance requirements you intend to put on your particular driver/car/road combination would be anyone's guess. That's a huge reason why they make adjustables. But, whether or not adjustable shocks would be advantageous, and to what extent, has nearly as much to do with a driver's ability to decipher feedback from the car as anything.

So, while I won't venture to tell you which way is the right path in your case, I do hope that's serves as worthwhile food for thought as you decide.

Happy Thanksgiving! Time to go have 2nds...

Old 11-28-2014, 10:50 AM
classic72
Advanced

My '72 corvette LT1 is a summer cruiser with the occasional track day and some spirited driving. I ordered the non-adjustable QA1's because they're a lil bit cheaper and I don't really have the need for the adjustable ones. So I don't have to worry about where the adjustment ***** will end up once installed. I decided to go with the Grand Touring Plus kit from VBP but upgraded to the non-adjustable QA1 shocks for an extra $40 instead of the bilsteins. I've heard alot of good things about both, but just prefer the QA1's, also I spoke with a rep at VBP and he said they'd work great for my application.

Last edited by classic72; 11-28-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:50 PM
classic72
Advanced

So I managed to get the old steel 9-leaf spring out, as well as, the old rear shocks.

Also, removed the spare tire, turned out to be an old Goodyear bias ply tire, but it was flat.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:53 PM
classic72
Advanced

So the past few weekends were busy ones, I got alot done on the corvette. I installed the QA1 shocks in the rear, bolted in the fiberglass monospring, as well as, my 3/4" rear sway bar. Also many suggest to use header wrap on your exhaust pipes by the composite spring to help protect it from radiant heat, if the exhaust pipes are less than 2" away from it, so I bought some black header wrap / stainless steel locking ties and did just that, otherwise the 5 year warranty on it can be voided by Vette Brakes and Products.

Note: In the above picture I haven't bolted the exhaust pipes back up yet so they're just hanging there and it looks like I have alot of clearance, when in reality they're about 1.5" - 2" away from the fiberglass monospring once bolted back up to the frame. I ordered some new stainless steel exhaust bezels to replace my old pitted ones on my rear bumper and I need to screw them in with the pipes hanging freely.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:55 PM
classic72
Advanced

The stock front sway bar was 5/8" while the new one is 1-1/8" in diameter:

The old (293 lbs/in) VS the new (460 lbs/in) front coils springs:

And the old Monroe Radial-Matic shocks VS the non-adjustable QA1's:

Old 02-03-2015, 03:57 PM
classic72
Advanced

And here's a few pictures of the completed front suspension installation:

Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks like you are doing some nice upgrades there. Let us know how she rides & corners after this install!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:04 PM
classic72
Advanced

I live in Canada so unfortunately I gotta wait until spring to test out the new suspension!

You have no idea how badly I wanna take it out for a drive and see how she handles now lol

Last edited by classic72; 02-03-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:57 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

I was told By VBP that the QA1 shocks are about 60/40 if that helps , and are considered by everyone i have spoken with to be superior to the Bilstien. i have them myself and they ride well and handle VERY well.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:12 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
I was told By VBP that the QA1 shocks are about 60/40 if that helps , and are considered by everyone i have spoken with to be superior to the Bilstien. i have them myself and they ride well and handle VERY well.

Of course, it should probably go without saying that any bump to rebound ratio is only part of a bigger picture. Shock valving rates must be properly matched for the spring frequencies in question, not to mention that valve tuning can significantly effect transitional weight transfer characteristics. And, FWIW to those whom this last issue isn't a real concern, may I respectfully suggest just sticking with non-adjustables...

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 02-05-2015 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:48 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

the weight transfer may be an issue when i head for the Drag strip. the car doesn't seem to squat as much but, i changed the spring at the same time. in spirited driving im impressed. i don't foresee me ever doing autocross so i looked at the adjustable shocks as another area for me to screw up.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 AM
classic72
Advanced

I just wanted the best non-adjustable shocks I could find because the adjustable ones are over priced and I honestly have no need for them. So I'm pretty sure I will be happy with the non-adjustable QA1's and the Grand Touring Plus kit from VBP, only difference is I upgraded to a 360# rear spring from the 330# one that came with the suspension kit. I didn't want to drop my front end, so I went with the 460# front coils. I spoke with Gary at VBP about everything and he helped me out answering all of my questions, even giving me a lil bit of a discount.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:43 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

I've not ever ran the Qa-1's, But I recently went from monroe sensetracs to the bilstien sports and love the ride, it made the ride feel more sporty and didn't take away from the quality none.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
the weight transfer may be an issue when i head for the Drag strip. the car doesn't seem to squat as much but, i changed the spring at the same time. in spirited driving im impressed. i don't foresee me ever doing autocross so i looked at the adjustable shocks as another area for me to screw up.
FWIW if you ever consider adjustables for going back and forth from street to strip, the general tip is that softer front rebound and firmer rear bump will speed up how quickly the rear tires are loaded during launch, while firmer rear bump in and of itself will slow the rate at which the rear squats. So, I wouldn't let yourself be too intimidated by the thought of working with them if doing so might be an advantage you'd like to tap into. Where one can most certainly get lost at is making asymmetric adjustments to help counter roll torque, but that's a different beast.

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein Sports VS QA1 Non-Adjustables

Quick Reply: Bilstein Sports VS QA1 Non-Adjustables