C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Kevins77
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Leak Question

I have an oil leak that I have been troubleshooting thats just leaving me scratching my head. I cannot seem to find where it is coming from.

It leaks just a bit directly under the bellhousing of the transmission. I thought it was coming from the rear main, but I noticed it is actually pooling up on the TOP of the bell housing on the drivers side just a little more towards the center of the car than the pressure sender. Its pooling up a little during driving then running off just enough to make a circle under the car.

Anyways, ive checked and double checked the valve covers, Ive pulled the sender and teffloned it good. I have taken and wiped a white cloth across the back of the intake in that area after driving and found almost nothing. Basically I have no idea where its coming from.

Anyone else ran into this and what did it end up being?
Old 12-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can wipe everything up, and put some UV tracer dye in the crankcase. After some mile's, scan around with a UV light and should be easy to find.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:52 PM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check around the base of the distributor.
Old 12-02-2010, 05:05 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
You can wipe everything up, and put some UV tracer dye in the crankcase. After some mile's, scan around with a UV light and should be easy to find.

That was the only way I could track mine down. You can get in different colors too to help differentiate between PS, Tranny, engine, whatever. You should be able to get at any auto parts store like AZ.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Wash it down with alcohol or something that air dries, then dust it with baby powder. The oil will track in the baby powder like a neon sign. The UV dye works well too, but baby powder and alcohol are really cheap.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some oil coming from the mounting base of the distrinutor. Installed new gasket and still leaked. Tried another gasket but this time put white lithium grease on both sides before installing. Did the trick. Hope you find where your leak is coming from.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak Question

Quick Reply: Oil Leak Question