C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 & T56 Swap into 82

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM
Kipring
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default LS1 & T56 Swap into 82

Ello,

I'm currently working on an LS1 swap and have made strong headway as to what needs to be done thanks to this forum.

It started with a 2000 combo LS1/T56 60k miles from a seemingly too good to be true deal on craig's list.

After opening up the valve covers, checking the intake runners, and checking the pan. It all (from a very newb/novice's view) looked kosher.

I've cleaned up the engine, replaced various seals, and painted her.

The vette receiving this nice transplant is an '82. The transmission is wrangled out with the engine coming out shortly.

I've been looking at various problems on the horizon and one coming up very soon is picking out the appropriate motor mounts. As far as I can tell some say I should get the +1 forward mounts to put the T56 as far forward to position the shifter in a decent area within the console.

However, I've also read that some who have done this very swap in an '82 seem to have used the -1 adapter plates. Supposedly the -1 adapters, with the LS1/T56 combo allow use of the original drive shaft. Any truth to this?

Another couple of questions...

What about a trans crossmember? Bowtie Overdrives has a corvette 700R4, which would have to be modified to work as far as I can gather. Has anyone tried the Camaro 67-69 T56 Crossmember?

Last edited by Kipring; 10-03-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:30 PM
Toxic Flame
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really cool looking engine!
The following users liked this post:
Last 1 (10-19-2018)
Old 12-06-2010, 07:35 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kipring

I've been looking at various problems on the horizon and one coming up very soon is picking out the appropriate motor mounts. As far as I can tell some say I should get the +1 forward mounts to put the T56 as far forward to position the shifter in a decent area within the console.

However, I've also read that some who have done this very swap in an '82 seem to have used the -1 adapter plates. Supposedly the -1 adapters, with the LS1/T56 combo allow use of the original drive shaft. Any truth to this?

Another couple of questions...

What about a trans crossmember? Bowtie Overdrives has a corvette 700R4, which would have to be modified to work as far as I can gather. Has anyone tried the Camaro 67-69 T56 Crossmember?
Nice job with the motor detailing. Looks so much better than just dropping a crusty engine into the car.

If you use engine mounts that put the engine 1" closer to the radiator than stock that would give you more room for the shifter in a custom console plate. IIRC all 82's were automatic so I'm assuming you are going to fab a console plate.

The driveshaft is going to depend on what trans is in the car now. You can easily measure the length of both transmissions and figure out if your existing driveshaft will work.

You will want to get a transmission yoke that has the straps for the driveshaft U-joints rather than the solid one that the Camaros used. Space is very very tight in the tunnel and if you need to remove the driveshaft you won't be able to get it out unless you have the straps.

I used motor mount adapters that had the lower left hole locating the lower hole of the 350 motor mount. I bought a driveshaft from a 700R4 IIRC and it was just the right length.

Search through the LS1 swap sticky at the top of the page. There is probably much more info that I have forgotten.

Rick B.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Nice job with the motor detailing. Looks so much better than just dropping a crusty engine into the car.
Thank you.

If you use engine mounts that put the engine 1" closer to the radiator than stock that would give you more room for the shifter in a custom console plate. IIRC all 82's were automatic so I'm assuming you are going to fab a console plate.

I used motor mount adapters that had the lower left hole locating the lower hole of the 350 motor mount. I bought a driveshaft from a 700R4 IIRC and it was just the right length.
Yeah, all the 82's had the 700R4 autos. I'm hoping to be able to reuse the driveshaft, which is why selecting the motor mounts for me is critical.

I hope to fab an adapter for the shifter to move the handle to the stock location.

Search through the LS1 swap sticky at the top of the page. There is probably much more info that I have forgotten.

Rick B.
Yeah I've been through the sticky three times end to end. I'll keep searching to try and locate confirmation of the mounts that will work for my application.

Thank you!
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Look's like a cool project, but had an 01' C5 coming from a 95' Z-28 LT-1, and found the low rpm street torque a bit weak in comparison. Not meaning to be a wet blanket here, but don't expect miracle's from this transplant. Maybe consider some displacement enlargement before the install. The C5 LS1 car was ok, but like my current C6 LS7 lot's better.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Taggin' along, looking at doing the same swap with an LS7/T56 in my '81..
I'm going to go with an electric fan, so I'll have no problems with the engine a bit more forward. I do like the idea of not having to rig a shifter adapter.
How about header fit? Will moving the engine 1" - 1 1/2" cause header interference with anything? I'm planning to replace the drive shaft anyway, that's not a concern in my build.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Look's like a cool project, but had an 01' C5 coming from a 95' Z-28 LT-1, and found the low rpm street torque a bit weak in comparison. Not meaning to be a wet blanket here, but don't expect miracle's from this transplant. Maybe consider some displacement enlargement before the install. The C5 LS1 car was ok, but like my current C6 LS7 lot's better.
Wet blanket or not, you do realize I'll be moving from 200 HP to 300+ HP. I'm pretty sure it will be enough for me and last I checked, I wasn't a miracle worker.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Originally Posted by L88Plus
Taggin' along, looking at doing the same swap with an LS7/T56 in my '81..
I'm going to go with an electric fan, so I'll have no problems with the engine a bit more forward. I do like the idea of not having to rig a shifter adapter.
How about header fit? Will moving the engine 1" - 1 1/2" cause header interference with anything? I'm planning to replace the drive shaft anyway, that's not a concern in my build.
LS7, wow! Good luck to you!

I'm moving to the electric fan as well. I haven't sized up my options yet but I'll post them when I make a decision.

With the headers, I keep coming back to the Melrose Motorsport headers. They seem to be specifically designed to fit will for this application. If I remember correctly, I think a few members here were integral in helping with their development.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Guess my wording came out a bit wrong, but was really meaning if you're considering some performance upgrade's, now's the time to save doing the re-install again later. Kinda know a bit about this, as went through it a few time's.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Guess my wording came out a bit wrong, but was really meaning if you're considering some performance upgrade's, now's the time to save doing the re-install again later. Kinda know a bit about this, as went through it a few time's.
Yeah, I've had a few people suggest, now is the time, to at least upgrade the cam.

I would really be happy with the boost in performance and much improved reliability over the crossfire.

This whole project is just a cog in the bigger scheme (like everyone else's) of an eventual complete restoration. Just a step in preparation of that day until I get the funds, space, and time.

I'm always up for suggestions.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

If you are thinking of going to do a cam swap, do your homework. Do not go so big that you take away some of the benefits of doing the LS swap in the first place. I did a cam change with mine and probably went a little too big with mine but, in all fairness I have not spent any real time trying to tune the thing just yet and the motor has been in my car for quite a while now. I even have HP Tuners and a wideband to do the tuning with.

Pick wisely and be ready to learn a whole new way to tune your car.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:54 PM
L88Plus
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kipring
LS7, wow! Good luck to you!

With the headers, I keep coming back to the Melrose Motorsport headers. They seem to be specifically designed to fit will for this application. If I remember correctly, I think a few members here were integral in helping with their development.
Might actually squeeze a few more cubes out of the block, I know that a 4.125" stroke will fit and the LS7 block has longer sleeves than any other LS block short of the LSX. I kinda like the idea of a 4.125 square engine...1/8" less bore and 1/8" more stroke than a 454, I think it works out to 441 cubes or so. Gonna stick with a carb and run a single plane intake, I'm convinced these LS engines can be made to look good when built old-school style ;D

I'm gonna have to look up the headers info, not familiar with those. I think that SpeedHound has some...

What's your T56 configuration?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Well been a'lil while but progress is progress. Transmission and SBC are finally removed.

Time to clean up the engine bay and figure out what to do next...

My A/C and heater wasn't working before so I think I'll try and figure that out. With the engine out of the way I will probably go ahead and upgrade to the borgeson steering.

Debating whether or not I should update the front suspension with new bushings while I have easy access...

Originally Posted by L88Plus
What's your T56 configuration?
I'll be using the recommended 85 1-Ton master with a remote reservoir. I have the pedal assembly from a manual vette ready to go, but from what I have found the conversion isn't a fun process.

Last edited by Kipring; 10-03-2017 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Kipring
Instructor

With the SBC engine out of the way, I've started some general clean up and removal of antiquated parts.

I got to thinking about the old SBC harness. Is there any point in keeping it? Can I toss it?

I have a good LS1 harness, will it have everything I need to replace the old harness?

Thanks,

~Kip
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

IIRC, you can remove everything that connected to the old computer. I understand it can be carefully un-threaded through the holes, etc. all the way back to the computer. You'll want to keep all your gauge wiring, etc.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Kipring
Instructor

Well I finally had sometime in between changing jobs and the spring/summer break for school.

Current Progress:
Cleaned and repainted the engine bay, installed a new power brake booster, new pedal assembly (for the manual trans swap), new clutch master cylinder, new F-body electric fans, and currently working in a new simple gauge cluster.

I'm having problems trying to figure out how much more I may have to cut off from the clutch cylinder rod. Any suggestions?

I'm close to dropping in the motor and start in on the harness, does anyone happen to know the where to get OEM style connectors so I can wire in the electric fans?

Thanks,
~ Kip

Last edited by Kipring; 10-03-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Your post from a few months ago, mentioned changing out the suspension bushings, etc. Now is the time if your going to do it. Just did this job, but I had the engine in and wished I had it out. Dang, the old SBC, looked pretty clean...

Get notified of new replies

To LS1 & T56 Swap into 82

Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Kipring
Instructor

I've managed to build a simple, functional gauge housing for some electronic gauges. I know it isn't top shelf, but I figure it will hold over until I do a complete restoration.

Almost finished the fuel system. I've dropped the tank and found the build sheet for the corvette. Kind of a nice surprise, but it was so rotted, only bits and pieces could be made out.

Just a few more weeks and the motor finally gets a home!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Kipring
Instructor

Okay, finally moved forward a little more.

Managed to take apart the fuel tank and was surprised to find the build sheet. Not much left but a little was able to be salvaged.

I've installed a late model F-Body in-tank fuel pump and have it wired to a new fuse block with a 20 amp fuse. I've also installed new fuel lines and was wanting to test the setup.

Before I put power to the pump I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to blow anything up.

So the pump is wired to the block and ground is attached to the frame. Block has a 20 amp fuse. Now all I need to do is attach power to the block and presto?

Does this sound right or am I about to blow up something or someone?
Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Your LS1 harness should have a fuse and relay setup for the fuel pump. Priming, etc will be handled by the PCM.

Quick Reply: LS1 & T56 Swap into 82