C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another power steering leak...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Another power steering leak...

So it turns out I had two leaks. I just replaced the pump, but I found a new leak after that. I'm not sure if it's one I actually had before or if it's a new one I cause by doing something wrong installing the pump.

The leak now is at the inlet hose connection. It seems to be leaking behind the connector itself. Is there a way to fix this without replacing the hose?

Hell...can I buy some high temperature silicone and cover it? :D

Or do I need to buy a new hose?

This is the return hose, right? Zips has a picture of the hose I need labeled as the pressure hose, but I'm pretty sure the pressure hose is the outlet hose that slips over and clamps on... :confused:

The leak is a drip that occurs about once a minute or so, so it's pretty quick... :(
Old 04-06-2002, 10:10 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Another power steering leak... (Chris Fowler '80)

The hose with the 2 steel flares and nuts is the high pressure hose. The one that clamps on the pump is the return back from the control valve.
Old 04-06-2002, 11:02 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I learned the hard way that nearly any amount of pressure on the resivoir will break the factory seals and cause leaks. Hope its just the hose.
Old 04-08-2002, 03:13 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Default Re: Another power steering leak... (Binnie77)

The hose with the 2 steel flares and nuts is the high pressure hose. The one that clamps on the pump is the return back from the control valve.
Odd...they are labeled backwards in the 1980 shop manual... :crazy:

My high pressure hose is definitely leaking...at the nut...not sure if it's the hose itself or the connection to the pump.

Is there supposed to be an o-ring in there? Also, is there supposed to be an o-ring within the hose connection itself?
Old 04-08-2002, 05:21 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The 1980 pressure hose (pump outlet hose) should have a metric 16x1.5mm nut and an o-ring on 3/8 inch OD tubing where it connects to the pump. The tubing should be formed with what looks like a funnel at the very end. The o-ring should be held in place by the funnel shaped end. This o-ring connection should not take much torque to make an effective seal (around 15 ft-lbs). The seal is accomplished by the o-ring and not the nut.

The other end should be a 7/16-24 NS nut with a 45 degree flare on 1/4 inch OD tubing where it connects to the control valve. These small flare fittings require about 10 ft-lbs of torque. The seal should be accomplished by the flare and not the nut.

The large hex fitting that is mounted on the back side of the pump is the union fitting. It has an o-ring on its back side (underneath the hex head) where it screws into the pump and reservoir. Make sure that the union fitting is seated tightly in the pump (40 ft-lbs). It is possible that it could be leaking passed the o-ring at that location.
Old 04-08-2002, 05:24 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Another power steering leak... (Jim Shea)

Alwo u may wanna try "Lucas Power steering Stop leak"......I had all kinds of leaks and it worked for me........Just a cheaper suggestion
Old 04-08-2002, 06:14 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Jim: Thanks. It was missing the o-ring. Stupid me didn't notice it sitting in the bottom of the box the pump came in. Haven't tested it yet, but I've got a feeling that's exactly what was going on. Thanks!

Alwyn678: I just replaced my old pump. It was leaking like a sieve and I really didn't want to rebuild. I had already run leak stop through it with no effect. (Leaking like a sieve means that it would drain all the fluid in < 2 days... :eek: )
Old 04-08-2002, 08:11 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Just a reminder! The 1980, 81, & 82 pressure hoses have the 16X1.5mm metric nut and o-ring hose connection at the pump.

All pressure hoses before 1980 had the 5/8-18 UNF nut and 45 degree flare fitting at the pump. So don't go looking for o-rings or try to put them on your older pump connections.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:15 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Ok...so I still don't have it right and it's still leaking right out of that connection.

What is the correct o-ring size? I'm going to head to AutoZone in just a bit and get the correct one.

Is it 3/8"? Are they sized that way?
Old 04-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

The correct o-ring is GM #26001594 and is available in a package of 10 from any GM dealer for $2.62. It is about 0.30 inch inside diameter and 0.06 inch cross-section.

I am going to scan a picture of the pump with the o-ring hose connection. The picture and description shows where the various o-rings and seals are located in the pump. I haven't used the scanner since my wife upgraded us to a new computer, so wish me luck.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

Given those dimensions, 0.30 and 0.06, that would make it 0.42 in total diameter...

I bought a package of assorted o-rings which lists everything in standard. Would the ring be 7/16 outer, 5/16 inner with a 1/6 thickness? That translates to .4375 outer, .3125 inner and .0625 thickness (cross-section). There is one of these in the package. :D

Or should I go to GM (which I can't get to because my car has no power steering. :crazy: )

Thanks Jim for all the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Another power steering leak...

Quick Reply: Another power steering leak...