I have searched far and wide on this forum and found that most 383 stroker project questions cannot be fully answered because not enough info is given to begin with. Well, I recently found that the running 1980 that I bought does NOT have a stroker as the seller indicated. I wasn't expecting it to be, as the Vette was running and in excellent condition for 4K. Now, I want to stroke the motor. Not drop a BB, not stroke it to a 377, not stroke it any further than 383 cu in. Here's what I know:
1) I have a $7000 budget, $3500, $4000 MAX on the motor
2) The block is to be bored to a 383
3) The crank used will be externally balanced and cast
4) I am going for the 500hp/500ft-lb mark; perfectly doable
5) Redline at no more than 6000rpm, max hp @ 5500rpm preferred
6) Street/strip, more a summer weekend driver
7) Hi-Rise dual quad intake, hood will be cut
8) AFR 195cc Competition Heads. I am firm on this aspect.
9) Comp Cams hydraulic roller, with 236/242° of duration @ 0.050 in. lift, and 0.520/0.540 in. lift, maybe a tad more aggressive if req'd
10) MSD 6 Ignition
11) Dished pistons will be used
12) 5.7" I-beam connecting rods, I don't care for the extra 5hp associated with the 6.0" rods, it isn't worth the hassle. No H-beams
13) NEW rods will be purchased built for strokers; I will not grind my current rods.
14) MSD 6al Ignition (of course)
15) Comp ratio should fall in the 9.4 to 9.5 area
16) 1 3/4" headers
17) Vette has a 4 speed Muncie
18) Flywheel was stock; this is how I know the motor is too.
19) For the love of God no nitrous
20) Once again, externally balanced. Most strokers do it that way and I will too.
21) I will worry about the chassis later, VB&P has nice deals
Now, my setup is very vague and would love your input, as I know you cannot beat the experience and knowledge found within this amazing community. However, I want everything to stay within my boundaries, as this is after all my car. Now for the good stuff; the specifics
1) Is this (p/n 935050) crank fine?
2) I have narrowed my heads to (p/n 1094) & (p/n 1095), which one?
3) Press fit or floating rods? See my camshaft.
4) What's the difference between press fit and floating rods?
5) Piston p/n's to consider? Dished only, domed is out of the question
6) Suggestions for all the other good stuff? This includes springs, valves, timing chain & cover, hints & tips, rockers, lubrication (not sure what I heard on that), etc, etc
These are just my first steps, I understand there's more to it but this is a good start, I look forward to your responses. As always, I thank you all in advance. I think I've blabbered on enough