Anyone Jet-Hot coat BB exh. manifolds? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back   >
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Anyone Jet-Hot coat BB exh. manifolds?

Old 12-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
DRC
CF Senior Member

Default Anyone Jet-Hot coat BB exh. manifolds?

I know heat is an issue with some of the BB's, so wondered if anyone has had their stock BB exh. manifolds Jet-Hot coated in the flat cast iron gray color. Thinking this keeps the stock look, may cut down on heat, and help exhaust flow.
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Corey_68
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
I know heat is an issue with some of the BB's, so wondered if anyone has had their stock BB exh. manifolds Jet-Hot coated in the flat cast iron gray color. Thinking this keeps the stock look, may cut down on heat, and help exhaust flow.
I have mine ceramic coated black, cannot comment on the heat difference as I have yet to drive the car for an extended period and in the Summer.
Corey_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:12 PM   #3
mark@BBExhaust
Premium Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Not sure that you will really see any increase in exhaust flow however coating the manifolds will definitely help with under hood temps and keep them looking good.
mark@BBExhaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
Vette5.5
CF Senior Member

I have Jet Hot coated longtubes on one of my car's and still look like new. Jet Hot does warn about running very lean carb A/F ratio's that can cause exhaust temperature's to soar though. Don't think BB's run any hotter than most engine's, just create larger quantity's of heat. Maybe scan your manifold's with a IR thermal gun and contact Jet Hot. Coating the manifold's may help underhood temperature's a bit, but you still have the raw steel exhaust pipe's running up to them.
Vette5.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
1969RAY
CF Senior Member

As I rebuilt my car, I was looking for a way to coat the original manifolds and came upon something called "aluminizing". Cost me $100.00 bucks total for both sides. That was five years ago and they look just like they did when I put them on. They're white with a mat finish. I've spilled a little oil, etc. on them and it burns off with no affect on the finish. Its another option. Had it done at a metal fabrication, sand blasting shop.
1969RAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Anyone Jet-Hot coat BB exh. manifolds?
  •