C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common Cure for Cruise Control Surge???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 11:06 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Cure for Cruise Control Surge???

Once I set the cruise control the car fluctuates between 7 to 8 mph from what I set. Is the transducer the normal culprit for this type of problem?

Thanks.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:11 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Common Cure for Cruise Control Surge??? (VETJET)

First thing to do is check for any vacumn leaks. Next is lube the speedo cable. (Both from transmission to tranducer and tranducer to speedo head) If neither of them take care of the problem then it would be the tranducer.
Old 04-07-2002, 11:14 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

It seems to be a common problem with late 70's and early 80's GM cruise units. I had two vehicles that did the same thing right out of the show room. I remember taking them back to the dealers several times to get it fixed. After a while I just stopped using the cruise. I wish I could remember what they did to temporarily "cure" the problem.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:07 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Mine varies with the quality of the speedometer "bob". If the speedometer is relatively calm, and there's no rhyme or reason behind it's behavior, the cruise will work well for a minute or so. If the speedometer is whacked out, bobbing like Ali, then my car takes off like a bat out of hell. The first time it did this, I nearly crapped my pants. I agree with the others. A. This is probably not very fixable, not to what we expect from a cruise control system. B. Start with the easy stuff first, as it's usually cheaper.

Get notified of new replies

To Common Cure for Cruise Control Surge???

Quick Reply: Common Cure for Cruise Control Surge???