Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 12-27-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
LancePearson
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Variable Valve Or Cam Timing

Some of the new Ford engines, Porsche Panamera and others are not only either using or not using superchargers but they are incorporating variable valve or cam timing/opening height into single and double overhead cam engines to have more efficient engines. I went right to the ZR1 2011 website and couldn't find anything but supercharger and dry sump oil systems. Is this something that others are getting ahead of us on or is this something that GM just isn't marketing well but is already doing? It looks pretty complex but today's control sensors and precision must make it work. The Porsche Panamera four door sedan in V8 model can hit 196 mph and seats four.....'Does anyone know if this is in Corvette or coming or if it's not something a Corvette needs?
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
CA-Legal-Vette
CF Senior Member

VVT is on many modern engines including Vettes for a number of years. Not sure when GM started but my wife's 2003 Saturn has it.

Very cool technology and not all that complicated.
CA-Legal-Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
Jeff_Keryk
CF Senior Member

The 90 ZR1 had variable timing; it used 2 cams per bank. The other cam came on at a certain RPM as I recall enabling high rpm/hp. There was a valet switch that disabled the 2nd cam. Hondas have had variable cam timing for many years. it's pretty commonn technology nowadays...
Jeff_Keryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 AM   #4
vette427-sbc
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette View Post
VVT is on many modern engines including Vettes for a number of years. Not sure when GM started but my wife's 2003 Saturn has it.

Very cool technology and not all that complicated.
I dont think any vettes had VVT besides the LT5... I think only some SUV's got them, along with the new camaro with the L99 (VVT version of the LS3)

Does the corvette need it? Probably not. The Z06 already gets close to 30 MPG with 505 HP and no VVT.
vette427-sbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
HamadUP
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08
Support Corvetteforum!

Our 6.2 Denali has it.
HamadUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
LancePearson
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

That was my impression, that essentially the C6's had not tapped into vvt at all, favoring a more muscular though less efficient approach with superchargers and more multispeed trannies. I wonder if there is a C7 being developed what it's power plant will be like with the current forecast of gas prices in the $5.30 a gallon range over the next four years. It's $3.30 a gallon for premium here already. All those Chinese nationals buying cars and using gasoline!
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Variable Valve Or Cam Timing

Tags
c5, c7, corvette, timing, valve, variable