C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 control arm bushing installtion question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C3 control arm bushing installtion question

I just pulled the entire front suspension off my C3.

I'm saving $$ by doing the work myself and have a shop availble to me with all the latest equipment to remove the old control arm bushings and install the new bushings.

I want to be sure I mount the bushing on correctly so the control arms mount back up to the car w/o any binding on the new bushings. Is there any feedback/direction on how I am supposed to install them where the bolt holes line up and the arms hang where they should, again, w/o binding?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-19-2011, 06:57 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Which bolt holes are you referring to? You should install them with the same alignment shims that they had before you took them out. What are you thinking is going to bind?

Also if you're using rubber bushings, you'll want the car settled before you do a final torqueing on the cross shaft nuts. This is because rubber bushings twist in the bore. You do not need to do this if you're using poly/solid bushings as they are designed to spin in the bore.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM
northern77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you go to mount the new bushings the rod that goes through the control arms will have to be in place so that will keep the bushings square.

Last edited by northern77; 01-19-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old 01-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Iggycat2009
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wcsinx
Which bolt holes are you referring to? You should install them with the same alignment shims that they had before you took them out. What are you thinking is going to bind?

Also if you're using rubber bushings, you'll want the car settled before you do a final torqueing on the cross shaft nuts. This is because rubber bushings twist in the bore. You do not need to do this if you're using poly/solid bushings as they are designed to spin in the bore.
I am referring to the control arm shafts. Once installed in the control arm, they bolt up to the frame and I want to be sure they are pressed in correctly where the shaft holes line up to the frame mounting point. My intent is to be sure that once installed, they hang where they should. I am using stock rubber replacement bushings.

I appreciate the feedback.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To C3 control arm bushing installtion question

Quick Reply: C3 control arm bushing installtion question