C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front body/frame bolting

Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Evershark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Front body/frame bolting

I'm deep into a body mounts replacement project on my '80. I'm about ready to lift one side and I've disconnected just about everything necessary...but maybe one!??
On the procedure written for a '77 he describes a body to frame extention bolt on both sides that is hard to see...he's right. I don't see any conn after removing the bumper cover and nose bushing bolt. My assy manual doesn't show any other conn either. Am I missing something??...or is that not part of the '80 design?
Thks
Old 01-06-2011, 01:15 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Evershark
I'm deep into a body mounts replacement project on my '80. I'm about ready to lift one side and I've disconnected just about everything necessary...but maybe one!??
On the procedure written for a '77 he describes a body to frame extention bolt on both sides that is hard to see...he's right. I don't see any conn after removing the bumper cover and nose bushing bolt. My assy manual doesn't show any other conn either. Am I missing something??...or is that not part of the '80 design?
Thks
There is a rubber "donut" type body mount on the front bumper bar.

If you have an A.I.M. for 1980 it is on page UPC 14A, Sheet 2.

For the A.I.M. I have, that is page 560, but as the assembly manuals come from different sources they sometimes have different page numbers. I don't think the original Manuals had page numbers, but were identified by Uniform Parts Classification "UPC" Group and Sheet number.

This front body mount was severely deteriorated on my 1980. Unfortunately, most vendors don't identify it in their catalogs. If you need one, PM me for a readily available PN that will work. (Inexpensive, and most all the vendors selling C2 parts have them.)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Evershark
Instructor

Sorry for the loss of my pic. I did a sort on my Photobucket album and that may have caused the loss.
Anyway, thanks for the feedback and, yes, I aware of the front "donut" mount on the nose. The bolt came out easily.
I'm looking for any other body/frame connection on the front end.
The procedure for a '77 called for removing a bolt to the frame extension from the bumper bracket but I'm guessing the bracket is different on that year.

I also notice the radiator support is tight to the front frame on both sides. Is that going to bind if I lift one side at a time??

Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The 77 hardware is different from the 80-82 hardware due to the new front bumpers and bumper covers on the 80-82s. 79s do not have the donut as mapman described.

Lifting one side at a time is "unnatural" for a C3; bodies were lowered on the assembly line (dropped) and all the mounting bolts went in at the same time. Be careful with the one side approach.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 01-06-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Evershark
Instructor

Agree, I'm concerned about the side lift. Several threads have shown it can be done on earlier C3s but there would seem to be a chance of "torquing" the body and causing a crack...maybe unseen.

Would like to hear from any '80 owner who has done this body mount replacement project and how they lifted the body (w/o removing it completely).

I'm also considering a lift from the bottom with four bottle jacks and wide flat boards under the floor pans...a lift described by someone on another forum. That would seem to allow a straight lift of 4+ inches and allow work on all mtng sites at the same time.
Anyone have any experience doing that type of lift???
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
mnbryant2001
Heel & Toe

First i agree with Evershark about jacking up one side. I have a 77 off the frame in the carport now. You need a good six inches to comfortably get the center most four body mounts out.

As far as your question there are not any true body to frame bolts in the front end forward of the tires. The bolt located behind the front wheel just behind the wheel house it the closest true body to frame bolt. Then there are two bolts attaching the radiator support to the facebar support which also serves as the reserve vacuum tank. I think they are referring to the bolt on a 77 that is a each in of the facebar bolting it to the fenders which you do not have. At least not in the same location. I am not familiar with the donut on and 82. If you look at the pic there is a hole in each inside corner of the fender on a 77. This bolts to each end of the facebar where yours doesn't have a hole.
http://image.corvettefever.com/f/how...nt_removed.jpg

Last edited by mnbryant2001; 01-06-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 PM
CUSTOM 80
3rd Gear

I BUILT MY 80 FROM SCRATCH .. BASED ON PARTS FROM ONE I WRAPPED AROUND A TREE. i GOT A 79 FRAME FOR THE TRUE DUAL CROSS MEMBER AND GOT A 1980 BODY FROM A WRECK, THERE IS A DOUGHNUT IN THE FROM CENTER OF THE FRAM BEHIND THE BUMPER A TOTAL OF FIVE BOLTS HOLDING THE BODY TO THE FRAME.. DONT FORGET THE STEERING COLUMN IS NOT GOING TO ALLOW THE LIFT WITH OUT REMOVAL

Last edited by CUSTOM 80; 01-06-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Evershark
Instructor

Thnx for the feedback. I'm confused about the "five bolts holding the body to the frame" comment. I count NINE, four on each side and one on the nose....or, are you referring to some others I don't know about?????
Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Evershark
Thnx for the feedback. I'm confused about the "five bolts holding the body to the frame" comment. I count NINE, four on each side and one on the nose....or, are you referring to some others I don't know about?????
You are correct about the 9 bolts (4 each side plus 1 in the nose on the 1980-82). On my 1980 I was going to do a single side "lift" to replace the body mounts. I soaked the bolts with PB Blaster, but the passenger side #3 mount bolt froze in the caged nut on the frame. This necessitated cutting (hacksaw) the bolt and lifting the body (complete body-off). Hopefully your lift will go without problems, but you should be aware of the potential for problems.

I also had some rust deterioration issues on the #4 frame mounts. The deterioration was not visible until I removed the bolt/washer/pads. Repair by welding on the frame required a body off in any case.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Evershark
Instructor

Not bragging...complaining...all my bolts either broke or broke loose in the caged nuts even after days of soaking with penetrant. Some were corroded to less than half the orig diam. I have cut #2 and #3 on passenger side with sawzall and will have to do the same on drivrs side.
Bird cage and body base on #3 are rusted out so I'm replacing with some Zip "channel inserts"
Some more pics below. So, to your point, I'm going to try to lift the body straight up 5-6 inches to assess damage...expecting I may have to take it off to do proper repairs.!!

Passenger #2 mount...severe corrosion needs insert.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 PM
CUSTOM 80
3rd Gear

I was going back to 14 years of memory... 9 is most likely the answer... I vividly remember the nose bolt...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by CUSTOM 80
...A TOTAL OF FIVE BOLTS HOLDING THE BODY TO THE FRAME..
You missed a few. There are four body mounts per side for a total of eight bolts just on the mounts. The donut up front makes nine. I can't recall off hand whether there's are any surprises in the rear.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Evershark
Instructor

Thanks, again...and yes, in the rear I've disconnected the bumper at the conn to the frame. Four bolts on each side.
And...the antenna ground wire shown below is off.
I've also unhooked the emergency brake cable and unbolted the battery ground cable.

I'm going to lift at four pts underneath, front pans and behind the seats, with addl support in the front under the center of the radiator frame.
I'll try to take some pics of the setup before the "launch".
Old 01-07-2011, 07:34 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I need to replace the body mounts on my '80 this winter, but I was planning to do one side at a time. I have some instructions on HOW TO REPLACE THE 8 BODY MOUNTS ONE SIDE AT A TIME. I also have two sets of illustrated instructions I assembled from posts here.

How do you plan to lift both sides at the same time?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Evershark
Instructor

We were successfull lifting the front end 3-4in with two bottle jack under the floor pans and front support under the radiator frame. Can't go higher w/o removing the fan and shroud.
The rear is another problem. The right side of the bumper flange shown in the earlier picture I posted doesn't clear the edge of the frame you can see right above it. So, I either have to remove the poly bumper or the extension shown...four more bolts on the poly bumper and two sides...ugh!!
Anybody who has done a body off must know the answer to disconnecting the rear...any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Evershark
Instructor

DUH...it's now clear my disconnection at the rear is useless.
The extension from the bumber to the frame goes further into the frame. The unbolting shown above is worthless! And that is true whether you lift on the side or wherever.
You must unbolt at the bumber and somehow remover the extension or the poly bumper...a much bigger job.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:39 AM
mnbryant2001
Heel & Toe

Yep those are typical bolts. I was fortunate that the prior owner of mine keep it in storage for years.

Those extensions are shock absorbers for rear impact. Not sure what the minimum you will need to remove is since I am doing a body of restoration. If I recall right the bumper has to come off before the reinforcement bar will.

Get notified of new replies

To Front body/frame bolting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front body/frame bolting