C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back to the drawing board - Car only runs when gas put in carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:28 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Back to the drawing board - Car only runs when gas put in carb

76 sb350., I started having trouble with the car suddenly dying then finally it won't start at all unless I poured fuel in the carb. It was running fine for the 3-4 months I owned it

Once the gas in the carb burns out (few seconds) the engine stalls.

I decided to replace the fuel pump, but turns out that wasn't it. Same issue.

I put the fuel line in a bottle and found that it is pumping gas. So I was thinking it was a carb problem.

So I removed my recently rebuilt Holy 600 CFM carb and put on the Edelbrock (was originally on the car a few months ago). It was running fine after this in the garage.

Now a couple weeks later, I go out there and once again, it won;t start unless I put the gas in the carb. Then it runs for a few seconds then burns out and the engine stalls.

There is 1/4 tank of gas in the tank.

Help!!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:33 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

I'd check for water in the gas tank. Also, remove carb and empty fuel contents in a glass jar and let the fuel settle undisturbed overnight to see if water in the system.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:36 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Check the fuel filter? Maybe there's trash in your tank, if the second carbon ran fine, I'd pump about a 1/2 gallon into jars from the pump & fuel line after it had set for a while, & see if you have sediment that falls out, if not make sure it smells like gasoline, with it working on the second carbon for a little while it sounds like dirty or bad gas to me.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys, fuel filter is new, bought 3 months ago and only used car for maybe 1000 miles.

As for the water in the system, or some kind of trash in the tank. Good point. The gas in the tank got low, close to empty around the time I started having this issue. Maybe that was a bad idea to let it get that low.

Maybe I should put some dry gas in it too?

I'll go ahead and pump 1/2 gal into a jar and leave overnight to see like you said.

Thanks for the guidance..:-)
Old 01-16-2011, 03:10 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sakins.02vert
Thanks guys, fuel filter is new, bought 3 months ago and only used car for maybe 1000 miles.

As for the water in the system, or some kind of trash in the tank. Good point. The gas in the tank got low, close to empty around the time I started having this issue. Maybe that was a bad idea to let it get that low.

Maybe I should put some dry gas in it too?

I'll go ahead and pump 1/2 gal into a jar and leave overnight to see like you said.

Thanks for the guidance..:-)

If you have any evidence of water you will need to completely empty the carb. Water likes to sit in the lowest cavities.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:20 PM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

So I went out there and drained some gas into a bottle, will let it sit overnight.

Then I put the gas line back on the carb and started the car fine. it ran fine this time. Interesting.

Guess my concern about water in the tank is that the car sits a lot. So even if I fix that problem now it may happen again. Maybe I should be using dry gas?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 AM
sakins.02vert
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Ah... Water in the gas. I went out there this morning and looked at the gas I had pumped in the bottle. Water at the bottom.

So what's the best way to drain the tank? Is there a drain plug at the bottom?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

You can pump or siphon it out if the ratio isn't that high you can run methanol or heat in the yellow bottle with your fuel, then run it till your about empty, put another bottle of heat in it then fill it up with gasoline from the busiest gas station that you know of. The quicker the gas station sells fuel, the less chance of it setting and building up condensate.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:29 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol aka isopropanol ... 91% ... NOT 70% as is predominant in USA ... pharmacies in discount stores carry 91% on shelf ... get a couple QUARTS of 91% & dump it in.

plain common 70% rubbing alcohol is already saturated with water ... use 91% or greater
Old 01-17-2011, 07:11 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Have you checked the sock around the pickup tube in the fuel tank?

If you do a fuel volume test for 30 seconds, it will surely indicate whether or not the sock is clogged.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

No, the tank doesn't have a drain plug.

Methyl-hydrate as a water dispersant makes sense if the vehicle is well driven, but a car lightly driven is better suited to completely draining or siphoning fuel/water directly from the tank.

The fuel pick-up is elevated off the bottom of the tank;so if you want to remove all the water from a tank, you must siphon the tank dry. Tilt vehicle and siphon from the lowest point of the tank.

Let the fuel sit, remove water, then use the old fuel in lawn equipment.

Add fresh fuel to the car tank.

Get notified of new replies

To Back to the drawing board - Car only runs when gas put in carb

Quick Reply: Back to the drawing board - Car only runs when gas put in carb