C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot Bearing vs Pilot Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM
jtramont
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pilot Bearing vs Pilot Bushing

I have a C3 with a 350 Muncie 4sp and am in the process of changing the clutch. In the process I figured I'd remove the pilot bushing and change it as well (I was afraid that Mr Murphy and his law would rear it's head and the bushing would fail right after I reinstalled the transmission).

I've read on a number of forums very mixed comments on using the original pilot bushing vs switching to a pilot bearing. Any ideas which is better/safer and what the best source is for the bushing? (I have a Centerforce pilot bushing on hand)

Also what is the best way to install either?

Jim
Old 01-23-2011, 06:27 PM
jaychis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert on this, but from what I have been told and from what I have seen on other forums including the Chevelle and Camaro forums, bearings can break. Bushings are pretty much bullet proof.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:37 PM
79Guy
Heel & Toe

I am also no expert on this as well but I will have to agree with jaychis. The bearing is better in some retrospecs. It will handle better than a bushing if you are doing intown commuting in heavy stop and go traffic. The downside to the bearing is that it has no external lubrication after installation and no cooling function installed what so ever for the bearing itself. When it fails it will be a complete seize up unlike the bushing. I also look at it like this, the factory bushing lasted for how long? I imagine a new one will last just as long as the last one. Either way I think you will be satisfied with which ever you choose. Preventative maintenance always helps tho.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:12 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Bronze bushing.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Bronze bushing.
Oil-lite bronze to be exact just like they used back in the day. The market is now flooded with cheap Chinese pilot bushings made of material with iron in it, if a magnet sticks to your pilot bushing you will have a high pitched squeel sometime down the road.

Autogear has had so many problems that they took it upon themselves to make a line of pilot bushing made of the correct material. Here is the link: http://autogear.net/WhatsNew1.html
Old 01-24-2011, 06:37 AM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Bronze bushing.
Originally Posted by Solid LT1
Oil-lite bronze to be exact just like they used back in the day. The market is now flooded with cheap Chinese pilot bushings made of material with iron in it, if a magnet sticks to your pilot bushing you will have a high pitched squeel sometime down the road.

Autogear has had so many problems that they took it upon themselves to make a line of pilot bushing made of the correct material. Here is the link: http://autogear.net/WhatsNew1.html

Bronze/oil lite bushings are porous and will hold grease; a cheap steel bushing will eventually damage the input shaft of your transmission.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
jtramont
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys...off to AutoGear!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:04 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

The way I understood it is that a bushing does not demand 100 % lign up of the transmission shaft, hence takes some sideload without complaining.
A nearing needs 100 % lignup and the bellhousing must be centered ( trued ) for this, but will then be superior to the bushing.

New cars have bearings.

I installed a GM bearing when I installed the GM Viper T56.

Rgds. Günther
Old 01-25-2011, 06:44 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I have been running a bearing on my Muncie then TKO and now T56. All have used the same bearing with no issues. If it is lined up correctly and installed correctly either one will work well.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I would like to add that the Muncie input shaft tip that goes into the bushing is pretty soft.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:19 PM
jaychis
Intermediate

I'm sure if a bearing is installed correct and if you use a high quality bearing such as kevlar, it should last as well as a bushing. My concern and several stories I have heard, when the bearing goes it could take the tranny input shaft with it if not caught right away.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Chromie69
Racer

I think the best way to install it is with a bushing installer tool..if you get the right type of porous bushing..soak it for a day before installing..its a habit of mine that I do..never had a solid bushing die on me yet..I have a bunch of these bushing install tools as I use them when I rebuild a trans..I think mine are old S&K set..
Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

TKO 5-600 calls for bearing, you have to dial in the input shaft to .005" if I remember correctly

Get notified of new replies

To Pilot Bearing vs Pilot Bushing

Quick Reply: Pilot Bearing vs Pilot Bushing