C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 06:34 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Speedo repair

My speedometer does not work but the odometer is working fine. I replaced cable and nylon gear already. Looks like I have to yank the speedo out and have it fixed or replaced. Has anyone had to have there's overhauled? Can it be done with a kit or do you have to send it out? Thx - 69 conv 350/300 4 spd.
Old 04-10-2002, 07:55 PM
gearheadz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Speedo repair (Surfer69)

Thats weird...usually the speedo works but not the odometer. If the odometer works that means the three gears within the speedo are good so the problem lies within speedo needle drum assembly. Sounds like either the shaft that drives the drum is broken or needle shaft is fused.

I repaired mine myself recently (odo wasn't working) because I was unable to locate any repair facility or a complete rebuilt unit (discontinued). Some people have had to either buy a new speedo (housing, lens & all) or have located working used ones (Contemporary Corvettes has them ocassionally).

Mark
Old 04-10-2002, 09:10 PM
Clink69
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My speedometer does not work but the odometer is working fine. I replaced cable and nylon gear already. Looks like I have to yank the speedo out and have it fixed or replaced. Has anyone had to have there's overhauled? Can it be done with a kit or do you have to send it out? Thx - 69 conv 350/300 4 spd.
I just payed $370 to rebuild mine. that includes removing and installing. I thought it was too high but I was in the hospital and couldn;t deal with it. As MD said , its usually the odometer gear that breaks.

While they were doing mine the did the needle seats also. this is tricky and unless you know what your doing I wouldn't attempt it. Removing the speedo is a PITA from what I hear.

I would recommend removing it and having it rebuilt...

As I just found out make sure you re lube the cable before reinstalling the speedo. Mine was bouncy after I got the car back and I had to pull the cable after. In fact I just did it an hour ago.

:flag
Old 04-11-2002, 10:33 AM
kgraumann
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen the work this guy does on speedos. I think he also sells higher rated speedos for everybody who wants theirs to say more than 85mph.

------------------------------------------------

Website is: http://www.clockdoc.net
Bill Russell
Clock Doc corp 1-800-256-5362 (toll free)
clockdoc@blomand.net

Old 04-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what I end up doing.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:19 AM
dshrack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call John Devorski at Red Line Gauge & Clock Repair (1-800-375-2310) - a fellow Forum member told me about them when my speedo was going out and they were one of the best vendors I have ever used. They can send you a speedo before you take yours out so you will never be without or they can fix (or convert) yours if you prefer. By far the cheapest and quickest of all the companies I considered. My '81s speedo was going out and I wanted a 140 mph unit. When it was all said and done it cost me $58 and I didn't have to wait while I sent my in and then for them to send me one back. They deserve my high praise.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:23 PM
Surfer69
Drifting

Thanks dshrack, called John up and he's sending a rebuild for $72 ready to go.
Just have to send back mine once I have received. Good choice.

Get notified of new replies

To Speedo repair

Quick Reply: Speedo repair