C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

computer removal on an 81

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Dave Bureau
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer removal on an 81

For those of you that removed the computer harness on an 81. Did it effect the netural safety switch and i read here that you need to install an AC on Switch. Anyone care to elaborate on this?
Thanks
Dave
Old 02-08-2011, 11:43 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm no longer running my computer and haven't had either issue.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Dave Bureau
Intermediate

Did you take out the whole harness? or just disconnect the computer?
the netural safety switch and AC on switch are in that harness.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

The computer is out, and so is the harness that was on the engine, the harness that was in the cabin is still there. The netural safety switch is on the shifter, I'm not sure what AC on switch your talking about. The AC comes on from the heater control, the computer had nothing to do with the AC.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Dave Bureau
Intermediate

From what i understand the ac on switch wire and the NSS wire are in that harness in the cabin. Do these need to be removed from the harness and reconnected?
Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i pulled my computer out years ago and never touched anything to do with ac or a neutral safety switch (not sure what a safety switch is so someone fill me in about this ). everything ran fine.

if your talking about this blue connection here that i circled , which by the way was the only wire in the harness that split from the ccc harness than i dont think it has anything to do with AC as mine worked fine after the mod.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM
spikebot 81
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The neutral safty switch and ac where not affected upon removal of the ccc and harness. If you still have the th350c lockup trany you will lose the lock up funtion. The computer supplies the ground for the tcc lock up once the temp sensor reaches its set point. I removed the computer system and related components 2 years ago. No problems other than the lock up. I ran the car without the lock up until transmission failure but I dont think the faiure was due to tcc not being hooked up. 14000 mi on what apears to be orginal trans with hard driving on my part....she just let go one day. 2004r installed now.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Dave Bureau
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
i pulled my computer out years ago and never touched anything to do with ac or a neutral safety switch (not sure what a safety switch is so someone fill me in about this ). everything ran fine.

if your talking about this blue connection here that i circled , which by the way was the only wire in the harness that split from the ccc harness than i dont think it has anything to do with AC as mine worked fine after the mod.

But did you take the harness out too? BTW is that a right hand steer car?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I removed the computer module (next to battery) in mine but left the wiring harness. Need to get it removed. Way to many plugs hanging out of the firewall now.

GB Man77 is from the Land down under. Yes, right side drive. Seen a few Vettes like that there and in the UK. Although his girls Camaro is a left hand driver. That is a nice car also.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:46 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rebelrob
I removed the computer module (next to battery) in mine but left the wiring harness. Need to get it removed. Way to many plugs hanging out of the firewall now.

GB Man77 is from the Land down under. Yes, right side drive. Seen a few Vettes like that there and in the UK. Although his girls Camaro is a left hand driver. That is a nice car also.
Rob,

There are two plugs on the firewall you can disconnect to pull all that stuff that used to go on the engine. It'll clean things up quite a bit if you haven't already done it. BTW, I hear the weather sucks around there lately...our Corp. offices are closed today...again!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Bureau
But did you take the harness out too? BTW is that a right hand steer car?
well i didnt tear my centre consol apart like this just for fun

the harness that you can see on the floor comes out in one big slug so i see no reason to remove it at all and block the hole in the firewall.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:50 AM
BadBaran
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was thinking about taking the ccc out of my 81 too. Is there any way to get the transmission lockup to still work. If not is it a major affect on the car
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by damoroso
Rob,

There are two plugs on the firewall you can disconnect to pull all that stuff that used to go on the engine. It'll clean things up quite a bit if you haven't already done it. BTW, I hear the weather sucks around there lately...our Corp. offices are closed today...again!
No, I have not done that. I need to. 2 Plugs,,, u mean on the inside under the dash? My non used computer module plugs are just wrapped up in a wad hanging out of the firewall. I do not like that look. I need get them out.

To the OP, I think my neutral safety switch is bad, I am unable to start the car in neutral, but I have seen and talked to many that can. So I know something is wrong.

Yes , 3rd winter storm in about a weeks times or so. Back up in the 60's this wknd though, and just in time for the monthly car show.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:31 PM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Rob,

These are the connectors I'm talking about...

Here's where they usually sit now that nothing's connected to them...

Get notified of new replies

To computer removal on an 81

Quick Reply: computer removal on an 81