C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Hose Connections

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Heater Hose Connections

Can somebody please give me some idea how you get to the heater hose clamps on the heater core. I decided to replace all the hoses while I have the engine out, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the housing that covers the heater core. I've looked in the manual but that was no help. Is it really this much of a pain in the arsh to do? HELP Oh yeah its a 81 Corvette
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 PM
BHRIG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does car have air conditioning?

If so the heater hoses are formed and are connected in front of passenger's side firewall from bottom.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BHRIG
Does car have air conditioning?

If so the heater hoses are formed and are connected in front of passenger's side firewall from bottom.
Yes the car has A/C. I know where the hoses are connected at, I just can't figure out how to remove them from the core. There is very little access to the hose clamps unless I'm suppose to remove the housing.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Can you get at the clamps with a 1/4" ratchet and 5/16" socket?
From underneath is where you do it, shouldn't need to remove anything else.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with KapsSA, I had just done mine and used a 1/4" ratchet, extension, flex joint with masking tape wrapped around the joint to reduce its flopping around and then the 5/16" socket. I came from the right side and underneath.

Once loose I slipped the clamps down and took a small X-acto knife and slit the hoses length ways to "peel" them off of the heater core. Mine were original 1976 and almost vulcanized themselves to the core. Go gentle.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Thanks, I'll have to take another look to see if I can get a 5/16th socket in there. I think the problem might be that a PO may have put this back together when they had the A/C condenser housing off. The clamps are turned so I don't think I'll be able to get anything on them. I might have to find a way to cut the clamps off, unless I take everything apart.....Tim
Old 02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
Thanks, I'll have to take another look to see if I can get a 5/16th socket in there. I think the problem might be that a PO may have put this back together when they had the A/C condenser housing off. The clamps are turned so I don't think I'll be able to get anything on them. I might have to find a way to cut the clamps off, unless I take everything apart.....Tim
I went throught his last summer with my A/C '78. IT CAN BE DONE.
I had the same issue as you, cant get the 5/16ths on the hoseclamp. I ended up using just a hacksaw blade (no handle!) and just cut the clamp off. Could use a cut-off wheel, but didnt have one at the time. Be crefull since the heater core outlet and inlet could be fragile after all these years. DONT use high pressure water to rinse out the core when you have it apart, might "blow a weld", then your in heap more problems. Gentle garden hose pressure will suffice.

good luck

dodosmike
Old 02-17-2011, 07:43 PM
Tim81
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dodosmike
I went throught his last summer with my A/C '78. IT CAN BE DONE.
I had the same issue as you, cant get the 5/16ths on the hoseclamp. I ended up using just a hacksaw blade (no handle!) and just cut the clamp off. Could use a cut-off wheel, but didnt have one at the time. Be crefull since the heater core outlet and inlet could be fragile after all these years. DONT use high pressure water to rinse out the core when you have it apart, might "blow a weld", then your in heap more problems. Gentle garden hose pressure will suffice.

good luck

dodosmike
What did you use for new clamps? I'm thinking about putting on some spring tension type clamps...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I use an open end wrench for those clamps ,,, PITA.
Definitely use a knife and split hose and peel off,do not pull or twist or you will break the core.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Dodosmike
Le Mans Master

Received 225 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim81
What did you use for new clamps? I'm thinking about putting on some spring tension type clamps...
Used new STAINLESS hoseclamps.
Just made sure I could get to the bolt head. Used a ratcheting box end wrench.

dodosmike

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Hose Connections

Quick Reply: Heater Hose Connections