C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air conditioning recharging, any options???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 11:28 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning recharging, any options???

I just spoke to my father in law and he was telling me that there is a new refrigerent that can be used in place of the old R12 and you do not have to change anything out.

Do any of you know anything about this. Also if there are no options for R12 what all do I have to change out to upgrade?

Thanks,

VETJET
Old 04-12-2002, 11:33 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (VETJET)

The neew stuff is R-134. You have to change the O ring seals and sometimes they change the evaporator canister. I'm keeping mine in r-12, I have a friend whose dad does home central air conditioning recharges. He has a ton of r-12, and will do mine. So I'm not changing. Maybe you could look into this
Old 04-12-2002, 11:36 PM
VETJET
Instructor

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (82dukman)

I might not have been very clear, he is saying that the refrigerant that he seen was not R134 it was something that you could put straight into the system with R12, but the difference was that this new product has larger molecules???
Old 04-12-2002, 11:40 PM
82dukman
Le Mans Master

Sorry, thought you were talking about R-134. haven't heard of other stuff :confused:
Old 04-12-2002, 11:46 PM
chevyman
Racer

You will get more info at this forum http://www.aircondition.com/
Old 04-13-2002, 12:30 AM
Zane
Racer

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (chevyman)

The first link is the one Im using. And Freezone you do not need to change anything at all. I live close to Phoenix and it does work good as R12. I have it in two diffrent cars and still working good after 2 years. You'll need a fitting converter to get it to fit the R12 fittings. Just mark it good so someone knows what is in there. http://www.freezonerb276.com/FreeZone.html http://www.alltemp.ca/r406a.htm http://www.autofrost.com http://www.freeze-12.com/ http://www.geocities.com/~jsphilly/hotshot.html
Old 04-13-2002, 12:37 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

.... it was something that you could put straight into the system with R12, but the difference was that this new product has larger molecules???
Federal law prohibits the mixing of refregrents. So putting something besides R12 into an R12 system is illegal. At a minimum you must evac the system and then recharge with the new refregrent. Depending upon what refregrent you use you may have to use a different oil and replace the o-rings. Some refregrents will also require the use of barrier hoses.

tom...
Old 04-13-2002, 02:11 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (Tom73)

I thought that freeze 12 was from the 70's, not something new.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
Old 04-13-2002, 06:36 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are several refrigerants you can use and are EPA approved for automotive use. ( NOT MIX though )..... However..... R12 and R134A are pure, one component refrigerants. Almost if not all of the other refrigerants that will work in auto systems are what is called blended refrigerants. While they may cool fine, the problem is if (when) they leak, one of the components can leak making it impossible to top off the system because the ratio on the components is now incorrect. Also virtually all A/C shops will not or are not set-up to handle anything except R12 or R134a so if you use another refrigerant then you are on your own for service. You will also need to pull a vacuum to do the initial charge . I would go with R134a as it works fine and is cheap to get anywhere. I am using it in my 69 stock system without any problems.. :cool: :cool:

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:38 AM 4/13/2002]
Old 04-13-2002, 09:34 AM
VETJET
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 04-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Green 79
Advanced

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (silvervetteman)

There are several refrigerants you can use and are EPA approved for automotive use. ( NOT MIX though )..... However..... R12 and R134A are pure, one component refrigerants. Almost if not all of the other refrigerants that will work in auto systems are what is called blended refrigerants. While they may cool fine, the problem is if (when) they leak, one of the components can leak making it impossible to top off the system because the ratio on the components is now incorrect. Also virtually all A/C shops will not or are not set-up to handle anything except R12 or R134a so if you use another refrigerant then you are on your own for service. You will also need to pull a vacuum to do the initial charge . I would go with R134a as it works fine and is cheap to get anywhere. I am using it in my 69 stock system without any problems.. :cool: :cool:

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on the $$ to convert to R-134?

[Modified by silvervetteman, 4:38 AM 4/13/2002]
Old 04-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (Green 79)

All you need to do is drain the OIL from the compressor and replace the old oil with esther oil and install a new drier..Have the system evacuated (vacuum) and charged. If a shop wants more than $100 or tells you that you need to change other things, go somewhere else. Of course this is assuming that you have nothing wrong to start with. :crazy:
Old 04-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Green 79
Advanced

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (silvervetteman)

Well I can only hope. :rolleyes: Thanks for the help
Old 04-15-2002, 08:36 AM
thamzid
Instructor

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (Green 79)

Ball Park figure to change to R-134 is about $40 Bucks for the Kit. The kit includes the hoses , fittings , can of oil , 2 cans of refrigerant . All you need to change it over . I just bought mine at Pep Boys . Have not installed it yet but HOPE it works OK .
Later
Ken
Old 04-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (thamzid)

Ball Park figure to change to R-134 is about $40 Bucks for the Kit. The kit includes the hoses , fittings , can of oil , 2 cans of refrigerant . All you need to change it over . I just bought mine at Pep Boys . Have not installed it yet but HOPE it works OK .
Yes and no. What about the refregrent that is in the system? You will need to have that evac'ed before you can do anything. If it is R12 maybe an AC shop will evac it for free if they can keep the r12. Otherwise will have the AC shop cost for evac'ing the system. Or has the refregrent already leaked out? If so, then you will have to make the necessary repairs. Once the system is fixed, you will need to rent a vac pump so that you can pull a vacuum on the system to test it for any leaks. If all checks out, then you can go ahead and install the 134a.

tom...

[Modified by Tom73, 9:31 AM 4/15/2002]
Old 04-15-2002, 11:37 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: Air conditioning recharging, any options??? (Tom73)

I highly recommend changing the accumulator/drier when swapping refrigerant. The older type is not compatible with R134a, plus it is probably used up by now anyway. They're about $30. You can rent a vacuum pump for about $15/weekend. If you're in the Dallas area, you can use mine for free.

Be aware that a straight swap to R134a will give you vent temps about 10F higher than R12. On the early cars (pre-73), you can adjust the POA valve and drop the temps to lower than R12. Later cars can be fitted with a smart-VOV that also lowers temps to R12 level, or even lower.

My '71 cranks out 40-43F vent temps on a hot day with R134a.

Get notified of new replies

To Air conditioning recharging, any options???

Quick Reply: Air conditioning recharging, any options???