C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now that Barry Grant carbs is gone...

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:49 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Default Now that Barry Grant carbs is gone...

are the parts for these carbs going to become a problem? Are the jets and gaskets interchangeable with Holley? Just wondering if it's time to stock pile.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM
l88rocket
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some holley stuff will interchange, jets, power valves etc, but stockpiling would be good
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did it make the news? I didn't know that barry grant went belly up. When did this happen? I have a new in the box Mighty Demon 750 carb I purchased in Jan 05. Myabe it will become a collectors item. Well I guess it is a Holley or the Q-jet. I currently have an Edel AFB sitting on my engine that I'm not satisfied with, and since BG is now gone and Q-jet parts are already hard to find.... will Holley be next? They filed for bankruptcy in 08. The carburetor is dying a slow death. Maybe someone will step up and make parts for the BG carb.

Last edited by Oldguard 7; 02-23-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
454Can-Am
Racer

Man.................. I'm not happy finding this out. Guess I'm lucky they fixed my "BadMan" system for me a couple months ago ! Hope I don't have any issues with it in the future................. shes running like a scalded dog now !!!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 PM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I've never personally used BG stuff, but the last 5 years or so, I've heard nothing but bad things about their quality. Maybe this has something to do with their BK.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:01 PM
texas jim
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I never owned one, but guys who have owned the Demons have told me that they performed well and made great power, and that the money they demanded was well worth it.
What's the carb making the big power now?
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oldguard 7
Did it make the news? I didn't know that barry grant went belly up. When did this happen?
http://www.dragzine.com/news/barry-g...es-operations/

Sounds like they have been in trouble for some time. The consensus on other forums is that there customer service wasn't very good. I would imagine that deteriorating tooling would have affected quality of late too.

Many thought they were pretty good carbs for making power though.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:13 AM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Customer service was always an issue. Lots of attitude. Quality issues...and I've yet to see a BG beat a Holley in back to back testing on the dyno. I'm sure it can be done....just haven't seen it.

They DO seem to be very responsive and drive well.

JIM
Old 02-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have any experance with them since they started manufacturing their own carbs. I can say they were great to deal with when they were building custom 4150s.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
Customer service was always an issue. Lots of attitude. Quality issues...and I've yet to see a BG beat a Holley in back to back testing on the dyno. I'm sure it can be done....just haven't seen it.

They DO seem to be very responsive and drive well.

JIM
when i was researching which carb to get more than once on this forum i read that on back to back tests the BG made more power.
that being said i put a 750 speed demon on my 454HO. I took it completely apart and found none of the reported metal shavings, cracks etc. It is that whole no one reports an aircraft landing principle.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:01 PM
c3corvette77
Racer

I guess this explains why I didn't get an answer from their tech support about bypass installation.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
olescarb
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

We did some consulting work with Barry in the early days of the speed demon to solve the lean off-idle and weak accelerator pump duration issues they had, the changes we came up with were put into production as soon as Barry did testing to confirm the changes were needed. I found Barry to be a very nice and decent person to work with but once the company got big they had a lot of quality control issues.

Most of the parts such as pumps, merering block gaskets and needle & seats are interchangable with the Holley and Holley clone parts. The only special gaskets I know of are the bowl to base gaskets, I have requested that the company that made most of the gaskets for BG sell these gaskets to the aftermarket (the answer is they will once they get the samples i am sending them).

Henry @ olescarb
Old 02-24-2011, 06:23 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by olescarb
We did some consulting work with Barry in the early days of the speed demon to solve the lean off-idle and weak accelerator pump duration issues they had, the changes we came up with were put into production as soon as Barry did testing to confirm the changes were needed. I found Barry to be a very nice and decent person to work with but once the company got big they had a lot of quality control issues.

Most of the parts such as pumps, merering block gaskets and needle & seats are interchangable with the Holley and Holley clone parts. The only special gaskets I know of are the bowl to base gaskets, I have requested that the company that made most of the gaskets for BG sell these gaskets to the aftermarket (the answer is they will once they get the samples i am sending them).

Henry @ olescarb
That's great news Henry. Very nice to see you posting on the forum as well

Get notified of new replies

To Now that Barry Grant carbs is gone...

Quick Reply: Now that Barry Grant carbs is gone...