C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 crate install question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
Default ZZ4 crate install question.

When choosing a ZZ4 crate, there are 2 "turn-key" models to select from. My question is based on the GMP part number 19201330- can this model with the serpentine belt drop in to an 80 model and still retain its functionality with the accessories- specifically, with the water pump. I am assuming this crate has the "long shaft" water pump. Will I need electric fans?
Power steering pump location ok?
The a/c compressor looks ok...
Any thoughts from those that have a ZZ4 ? Thanks. I am in the process of actually buying the new motor within the next 3-4 weeks, needing info for a decision.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 AM
jarredsoon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a ZZ4 but I did put in a crate 383 from a local shop and I used the long neck WP for corvette and my original fan worked fine no overheating issues. My car is an 81.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM
mooneyd
Drifting

I installed a ZZ4 in my '82, best move I ever made! I love it. I got the turn key but did not use a mechanical fan, I installed dual electric fans.
Every thing fit fine. Make sure they know it's for a Vette.
Enjoy,
Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 12:20 PM
69vettester
Pro

Originally Posted by mikejpss
When choosing a ZZ4 crate, there are 2 "turn-key" models to select from. My question is based on the GMP part number 19201330- can this model with the serpentine belt drop in to an 80 model and still retain its functionality with the accessories- specifically, with the water pump. I am assuming this crate has the "long shaft" water pump. Will I need electric fans?
Power steering pump location ok?
The a/c compressor looks ok...
Any thoughts from those that have a ZZ4 ? Thanks. I am in the process of actually buying the new motor within the next 3-4 weeks, needing info for a decision.
I built up my 383 engine from the ZZ383 short block (See my sig.). While bolting the engine up, I thought about a Serpentine Kit but tossed the idea after researching how it would help. I went ahead and bolted the engine up using Pullys. Personally I dont think its worth that cost and dont believe the funtionality of a serpentine system is better when installed in a C3 vette.
Definitely check out Tom Dewitts Spal fan radiators and Kits to finish off the engine swap
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

I have a ZZ4 with the General Motors Serpentine accessory drive kit. Works great. I have an electric fan. The serpentine kit comes with a reverse rotation cast iron water pump. Replaced that with an Edelbrock aluminum reverse rotation pump. The GM Serpentine kit PS pump comes with metric high pressure outlet fittings. Either change them or buy an adapter ($7.50). The new style alternator needs an adapter connector, another several dollar item. The passenger side idler pulley interferes with the top of the spring tower. Simple solution, mount the idler pulley bracket upside down. The pulley is raised up a tiny bit and clears the spring tower, it aligns up with the belt just fine.

If I had to do it over, I'd probably buy the Z383. No matter. Plenty of power. I bought the ZZ4 Hot Cam option.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 AM
ray79
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought the ZZ4 before they had the serpentine package but I think the fan pulley rpms are about the same. Installed the stock pump and fan with the addition of an electric push fan in front. Used a 200° temp switch and sigh with relief when it kicks in rowing through stop and go traffic. Double fans are double insurance.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:29 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by ray79
Bought the ZZ4 before they had the serpentine package but I think the fan pulley rpms are about the same.
The serpentine package was originally sold on 91/92 Firebirds and
Camaros. (Also, other cars). I thought the pulley diameters would spin my PS pump/water pump/alternator at too high of speeds for my application. I bought billet March underdrive pulleys. Improves the appearance over the black stamped steel stock pulleys. Also lowers rpm. Works just fine. Even though the PS pump runs a little slower, I still have adequate pressure at idle.

Oh..the ZZ4 to fit under my stock SB hood needed a drop base air cleaner. I use the lower air cleaner "pan" from a $30 Morosco aluminum drop base air cleaner and the stock air cleaner top lid. A casual viewer wouldn't think the air cleaner was anything other than stock. I use a tach drive HEI distributor I bought 15 years ago from Corvette Central or Corvette America. I paid close to $500 for it then, but they are available now from several sources at much lower prices. I took the "works" out of the HEI distributor that came with the ZZ4 and fitted them into my tach drive distributor.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:37 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
The serpentine package was originally sold on 91/92 Firebirds and
Camaros. (Also, other cars). I thought the pulley diameters would spin my PS pump/water pump/alternator at too high of speeds for my application. I bought billet March underdrive pulleys. Improves the appearance over the black stamped steel stock pulleys. Also lowers rpm. Works just fine. Even though the PS pump runs a little slower, I still have adequate pressure at idle.

Oh..the ZZ4 to fit under my stock SB hood needed a drop base air cleaner. I use the lower air cleaner "pan" from a $30 Morosco aluminum drop base air cleaner and the stock air cleaner top lid. A casual viewer wouldn't think the air cleaner was anything other than stock. I use a tach drive HEI distributor I bought 15 years ago from Corvette Central or Corvette America. I paid close to $500 for it then, but they are available now from several sources at much lower prices. I took the "works" out of the HEI distributor that came with the ZZ4 and fitted them into my tach drive distributor.

What year model is your car? Are you talking about the gear driven tach in your old motor? I was under the impression that my 80 tach set-up would just be a "plug & play" on the ZZ4 crate distributor. Am I wrong? Please advise. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:33 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

[/B]

What year model is your car? Are you talking about the gear driven tach in your old motor? I was under the impression that my 80 tach set-up would just be a "plug & play" on the ZZ4 crate distributor. Am I wrong? Please advise. Thanks.
Yes, your '80 tach setup will be plug & play with the ZZ4 crate HEI distributor. I have an '80 and dropped in a GM Performance 350 HO Deluxe, plugged the tach in, and started it up.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
mikejpss
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
Yes, your '80 tach setup will be plug & play with the ZZ4 crate HEI distributor. I have an '80 and dropped in a GM Performance 350 HO Deluxe, plugged the tach in, and started it up.
And how are you liking that 350 High Output? I am struggling with choosing between that and a zz4..... but strongly leaning to the zz4. Its only a few hundred $$ more !
Old 03-20-2011, 11:17 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

And how are you liking that 350 High Output? I am struggling with choosing between that and a zz4..... but strongly leaning to the zz4. Its only a few hundred $$ more !
My 350 HO has been rock solid for 10 years. Mine produces more than the advertised 330 hp after years of tweaking the carb, timing, and a air intake.

You can >400 from it with the GM LT4 Hot Cam Kit and new valve springs, but I opted for a Kiesler 5-speed instead (which has the same effect as changing the rear from 3.07 to 4.11 PLUS a .68 OD for better gas mileage).

Would I choose an HO over a ZZ4 again? IMO, the HP and torque difference between the two is so-so. I don't remember where the HP and torque peak in the rpm range, but that's something I would consider. I'm not a high revving driver, so I'd want more in the lower rpm range.

If I really wanted more power than the HO, I'd choose the GM 383 HO over the ZZ4. Or I would buy the HO and add the LT4 Hot Cam for a few hundred $$ more than the difference between the HO and ZZ4.

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 crate install question.

Quick Reply: ZZ4 crate install question.