C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between '76 and '77 radiators...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Bric
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference between '76 and '77 radiators...?

I have a very late production '76 and was considering replacing the radiator. What I'm wondering is since my car has some of the late '76/'77 features such as the late fan shround, R4 a/c compressor, etc., would it possibly have the '77 radiator also? BTW its an automatic.

Better yet what were the differences between the two and how could I tell which one I have? I really don't want to order one for a '76 and end up needing the '77 model rad. ...

Thanks for looking!!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Korevette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Bric,

I have a early '76 4-speed and long a/c compressor. The tanks have access for automatic transmision cooler but are plugged with threaded plugs. The rad is a 4 core copper and brass. The saddles are standard to fit the lower 'u' shaped mounts. The shroud, which bolts on and no clips is very expensive for some reason, mine was good.

I was in the same boat as you as what to do about a rad. I did a lot of research and elected to go with a Dewitt rad. It was an exact copy of my original an will fit right in. Just give them the details and they will match your original.

I was quoted $350.00 from a rad shop to recore and salvage my old tanks. Dewitt solved this dilema and I saved the old rad if needed to go back to original 50 years from now when these cars maybe worth something.

Dano,
Old 03-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Bric
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice!

I called Dewitts today and was told to measure the width of the core and that would let them know which radiator I had, a 76 or 77. Being that my 76 was produced in roughly the last week of production I would imagine it had the 77 unit but wanted to be sure. Now all I have to do is get off these 12 hr. nite shifts and uncover my ride for the measurement....

Get notified of new replies

To Difference between '76 and '77 radiators...?

Quick Reply: Difference between '76 and '77 radiators...?