C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper arms+blade pictures wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 06:10 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the drives side hits the stop first.

Do you have an assembly manual and did you follow the instruction listed in it when you installed the arms?
I can't find my AIM at the moment and I can't remember exactly but I think the drivers side arm is supposed to be under the stop before attaching the linkage to the motor, then placed over the stop.
Ernie from Willcox will know and more than likely Alan and many others here know off the top of their heads too.

Last edited by DZRick; 05-01-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 AM
voscreature
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, I have the AIM. However, I have not removed the linkage from the motor spindle when adjusting....hmmmm, I will check that today and see if that could have been messed up earlier.

What's most disturbing is that I cant figure out why my blades are so non-parallell. It feels like that relation is set by the arm geometry and can not be adjusted out.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:58 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by voscreature
Yep, I have the AIM. However, I have not removed the linkage from the motor spindle when adjusting....hmmmm, I will check that today and see if that could have been messed up earlier.

What's most disturbing is that I cant figure out why my blades are so non-parallell. It feels like that relation is set by the arm geometry and can not be adjusted out.
I'd read the section in the AIM or wait to hear from someone else that knows for sure.
By dropping the drivers side below the stop you are allowing the passenger side to lie down more parallel, once you reattach the linkage and move the drivers side arm back above the stop,it seems to me that at least that part of your problem might be taken care of.

The arm hitting the door seems like it might just be that the door needs to be adjusted.

Is this a car you've owned for awhile?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM
voscreature
Instructor

Just checked my motor and the "snout" on the motor is rectangular so I can not make any adjustments there.

I have had the car for exactly 1 year now and when I got my hands on it basically nothing was working since it has been stored for 10years+ and before that it must have been in a poor condition. PO probably started a restoration project but got tired quickly.

Perhaps my arms are still incorrect, they look different from the drawing in the AIM....but the AIM perhaps is not always the 100% truth either.

It would have been such a victory to be able to turn the wipers on and everything worked properly. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to get eveything back to original working condition.

Is it possible for you to try an take a photo of your arms when parked?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Just checked my motor and the "snout" on the motor is rectangular so I can not make any adjustments there.

I have had the car for exactly 1 year now and when I got my hands on it basically nothing was working since it has been stored for 10years+ and before that it must have been in a poor condition. PO probably started a restoration project but got tired quickly.

Perhaps my arms are still incorrect, they look different from the drawing in the AIM....but the AIM perhaps is not always the 100% truth either.

It would have been such a victory to be able to turn the wipers on and everything worked properly. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to get eveything back to original working condition.

Is it possible for you to try an take a photo of your arms when parked?
Sadly I can't, I haven't had a wiper motor in mine in at least 3 years.

I think I'll buy a new one soon though.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While mine is a '71, I'm having the same issue as you in that mine are nowhere near parallel to the stop bracket. However I know my arms aren't the correct ones for the year they may be the 74L-82 style or something completely different.

I also don't have the drivers side below the passenger side wiper like I've seen in the Willcox pdf. I'll have to try that but I'm still looking for pictures of someone elses in the parked position.

My thread is here.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
voscreature
Instructor

I will continue with my wiper problems very soon and update. Perhaps it's too much play in the linkage, both the wiper transmission linkage and the door linkage that simply makes it unpredicatable. I wonder if the transmission/door is specific for 68 or if interchange with other years are possible?

Anyone with any advice regarding restoring busings etc. for a more tight transmission/door?

Thanks.

Martin
Old 01-08-2012, 02:20 PM
voscreature
Instructor

Finally had some time to start digging into my wipers and wiper door. I'm rebushing and re-rivet my wiper door linkage to tighten it up.

I also got a set of new repro 68 only wiper arms+blades. I will probably need a new wiper transmission, especially the passenger side transmission arm seems very worn in the ball joints, which causes the wiper blade not being fully down against the driver side blade.

However, did GM really design it so the blades are so un-parallell to each other?? In the picture below I adjusted according to instructions, the driver side blad rests quite hard on the stop in parked position, but I would have liked to see the passenger side blade more parallell.

Am I chasing my tail or is something wrong in the picture above?? The ONLY way I can see it means that the repro arms are not correct....but that seems far fetched. But no adjustment in the world can make them parallell either....so?

Any ideas???

Martin
Old 01-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Martin,
I'm surprised how much the lower part your right side blade is past/under the arm.
There's another wiper arm, 'screw A', Thread going on now. Willcox posted a good picture of how 'screw A' affects the blade's position.
I THINK, if the position of the blade holder was adjusted using 'screw A', the blade would be more parallel with the arm, and the blade would go down further before the tip contacts the driver's side blade. This would allow the right side arm to go down further and clear the door???.
Maybe?
Regards,
Alan
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM
voscreature
Instructor

The dreaded Screw A.

I tried adjusting so the tip of the blade is 0.75" from the stainless windshield trim as per the AIM using Screw A, but then the parked position looks lke this:

I have used up ALL adjustability at the motor crank. Something must be fundamentally wrong on my car. Is it possible for you to take a pciture in parked position with wiper door open?

Another thing is that my transmission rod from the crank on the passenger side is very sloppy in the ball joints. This of course does not make it easier. I must find a new transmission and replace. But even so, I cant see how that could account for the arms not being parallell when parked.

ALL pictures of a pair of parked arms would mean a lot.

I wonder if the crank, transmission and geometry was identical 68-82?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:29 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi V,
Here are some pictures.
I don't know if any will help.
Regards,
Alan

NOTE! It's the transmisson arm, (not the wiper arm), that pushes the plunger.

You can see the top of the 'stop' between the blade hodler and arm.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:22 PM
voscreature
Instructor

Thanks for the pictures!!

I'm getting a "new" pair of transmission arms and also the motor crank
so I get rid of all play in the transmission. I keep my fingers crossed this sorts out the mysterious non parallell problem I have...

Alan, based on your very nice 71: Would you say that in parked position your wiper blades are EXACTLY parallell, and the driver side blade rests more or less in its full length onto the driver side blade?
Old 01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi V,
Yes, they're quite parallel in the parked position.
The lower end of the right-side blade is about 3/4" above the upper end of the left-side blade. That could be because of screw A.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 01-11-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:23 AM
voscreature
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi V,
Yes, they're quite parallel in the parked position.
The lower end of the right-side blade is about 3/4" above the upper end of the left-side blade. That could be because of screw A.
Regards,
Alan
Alan,

Do I understand correct here: The blades do not touch each other in parked position? The passenger side blades does not come closer than 3/4" when parked at closest point?

That would make sense and also be in conjunction with the GM technical service bulletin "1968 Windshield Wiper System, Operation and Diagnosis", where they want to position the passenger blade 1" above driver side blade when parked.

One more thing I have been thinking of. If looking at say the passenger side arm: Is that "straight", i.e. the distance from the arm to the windshield glass is equal along the entire arms length?

Also, one thing I was a bit hesitating about: The 2 rubber stops on the underside of the wiper door - what are they suppose to rest against when door is closed? Wiper arms?

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
voscreature
Instructor

Passenger side arm again. Should a correct 68 arm be angled like this:

This seems to make the arm very "high", with potential door clearance issues.

Thanks.

Martin
Old 07-29-2012, 12:50 AM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts

Finally had some time to start digging into my wipers and wiper door. I'm rebushing and re-rivet my wiper door linkage to tighten it up.

I also got a set of new repro 68 only wiper arms+blades. I will probably need a new wiper transmission, especially the passenger side transmission arm seems very worn in the ball joints, which causes the wiper blade not being fully down against the driver side blade.

However, did GM really design it so the blades are so un-parallell to each other?? In the picture below I adjusted according to instructions, the driver side blad rests quite hard on the stop in parked position, but I would have liked to see the passenger side blade more parallell.

Am I chasing my tail or is something wrong in the picture above?? The ONLY way I can see it means that the repro arms are not correct....but that seems far fetched. But no adjustment in the world can make them parallell either....so?

Any ideas???

Martin
I have the same problem with the wiper door hitting the right wiper arm on my 71.
I purchased later model wiper arms which according to the venders web site would fit a 71. The problem is the blades do not sit parallel when parked.
The picture below shows the original right wiper arm next to the repro arm. The original has less of a bend at the end of the arm allowing the right blade to park parallel and lower down the screen. The repro has a more acute bend in the arm causing the blades to hit when parked and sit higher.
Attached Images  

Last edited by wabco40; 07-29-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:36 AM
voscreature
Instructor

VERY VERY interesting. Just to make sure I understand correct:

1) You have 1 GM original arm, the lower one in the picture? Where did you get this arm?
2) The repro arm - were did you get that?

Your comparison really shows the huge difference I have been suspecting and with the repro arm you get the exact same issue I have been strugglig wit, withh extreme non-parallell parked position with all associated problems.

I paid quite a lot for a pair of "68 correct arms". But it was still the same problem. I will get down to the garage later today and take some similar comparison photos.

But this only reinforces my existing opinion on how crappy lots of todays so called "repro" parts are.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper arms+blade pictures wanted

Old 07-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi vos,
VERY often at Carlisle I hear this conversation.
Buyer... What year is this 'whatever' for?
Seller... What year do you have?
Buyer... 71.
Seller... yup, it'll fit.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 PM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

VERY VERY interesting. Just to make sure I understand correct:

1) You have 1 GM original arm, the lower one in the picture? Where did you get this arm?
2) The repro arm - were did you get that?

Your comparison really shows the huge difference I have been suspecting and with the repro arm you get the exact same issue I have been strugglig wit, withh extreme non-parallell parked position with all associated problems.

I paid quite a lot for a pair of "68 correct arms". But it was still the same problem. I will get down to the garage later today and take some similar comparison photos.

But this only reinforces my existing opinion on how crappy lots of todays so called "repro" parts are.
Hello Vos,

The original GM arms (silver in the picture) came with the car. As one of the brass washer tubes was missing and the other was blocked I decided to replace with 75-82 style arms with plastic washer tubes/nozzles.

I purchased them from Zip some time back. Below is the info from their web site.

item # WW-347, 69-82 Windshield Wiper Arms w/Squirters (75-82 Style). Original style wiper arms for 75-82, replacement for 69-74. Includes plastic hose & nozzle for washer squirter.

Looks like the only difference between your repro wiper arms and mine are the lack of washer tubes!!!

I have been rebuilding my car for the last eight year and only just went to fit the wiper door when I came across this problem. I plan on using my original arms. The link below is to an Australian site showing more pictures of the wipers on my car.
http://nswcorvettes.com.au/forum/vie...d=7864&page=15

Yes, I agree about how crappy a lot of the repro parts are. I have wasted a lot of money shipping parts to Australia only to find out they don't fit or poor quality.
Brad.

Last edited by wabco40; 07-29-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:01 AM
wabco40
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Martin,

Below are some more pictures of the wiper arms.

I have cleaned up and painted the original arms (top arm).

Transfered the plastic nozzles and hoses from the repro arms (my Vette is far from original so I am not concerned about using the correct brass tubes).

The last picture shows problem solved.

Brad.
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Wiper arms+blade pictures wanted